Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi Mogi - I have made MDF & plywood machine bases that will machine plastics, timber and aluminium easily. You describe the machine as a Mill and mention Steel. These two words really impact what you are trying to do. Steel requires extreme stiffness and damping, Plus it also requires a low speed high torque spindle. The spindle is going to be a large rabbit hole for you and its worth researching this aspect before much longer as it can change how the Z axis is going to work. Your going to need space for pulleys and large motors, probably an AC servo. If you use a high speed spindle like on a router for steel you will need one with very good bearings plus you will have to adopt a light cut very high speed machining technique. There are people doing this, but its early days in this area of work. Or you remove "Mill and steel" from the spec and life becomes very much easier. But aiming at a Mill is not a bad thing, just its a very tough call for your first machine... Look up my Milli thread, years of research and still no result. Peter
Hi Peter, I'm aiming at a mill, so if I could't get what I want I will end up with something strong to be happy with, at the end it's mostly hobby stuff.