Working in an industrial setting for an international American company, I ranged from electrical to electronics to mechanical projects, mostly being control related. By default I gained experience with Windows, Mac & UNIX systems; CAD including AutoCAD; Engineering design & problem solving. The PLC/CNC machine controls from those days were mostly Fancu & Allen-Bradley. I am now a retired EE of 20 years.

Anyways ... my DIY projects will range from Luthier - Electric & Acoustic (builds and parts) to Aluminum plate (30" X 40" X ½" MAX) to PCBs to ? Materials: hard wood, soft metals, synthetic materials like nylon, plastics, etc.

For this purpose, I am building a ~ 750mmx1000mm CNC Router with: X,Y/b Integrated Servo 180W Motors; Z Integrated Servo-Stepper 3Nm Motor; 2.2Kw Spindle; Masso G3 Touch Controller. The working area is ~ X: 30" Y: 40" Z: 2".

I reviewed the above to help access which CAD/CAM software might better fit my needs. My budget is small but I enjoy more of a 'top drawer' product! Like many I would guess. I am currently looking at Fusion 360 (Free and Not Free) and Aspire as well as a few others. I understand that SOLIDWORKS is solid but not so inexpensive. My point is I am somewhat confused over the the 'Bestest for the Leastest'!

What do y'all think?

Billy