587,158 active members*
3,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Orientation of Linear Guides along a Gantry

I am designing a CNC to hopefully build soon, and in the design of the z axis, I was considering the orientation to mount the linear guides that I am planning to use (Picture attached). I drew up a small cartoon about why mounting the guides in a slightly unconventional way could be better for rigidity. The cartoon depicts a section view of the linear guides and where they would mount to the Z axis assembly. This relies on the assumption that most cutting loads will push the guides to the left or right.

I can't tell whether this is a better solution or not. If it is, I don't know why it isn't as common. The cartoon I made will help understanding this, and I would love to get some advice on this design / feedback on my assumption.

Thank you!

p.s. If I do choose to go with this design, I don't know for sure how I will mount the rails this way. I plan to use T slot extrusion to build the frame, and was wondering whether that was also the right choice for the gantry. I know very little on this topic, and I would love some advice. Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linear guide profile.jpg   linear guides cartoon.jpg