Hi,
I'm new to the world of CNC, and don't even own my own machine yet. I love the idea of creating objects from scratch, and I'm willing to take the time to learn it all.

The machine I'm considering is the Shapeoko HDM. My idea is to create aluminum molds for plastic injection molding. I know it's a process, but I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and I think I've got most of it down pad. It'd be a dream come true, honestly, even as just a hobby.

However, there are a few things I'm unsure about, and that are keeping me from jumping into this.

1) Can a machine like the Shapeoko HDM be good at doing small, detailed, 3D jobs on aluminum?

2) Is it possible to get clean, smooth finishes on such a machine, and what exactly is the process? I'm terrified of getting jagged results (which would be clearly seen on the plastic), and it looks like it's the norm when it comes to cutting aluminum.

3) Last question, though a little off topic. Is there any material that would be easier for a less-powerful machine to cut, but that can withstand the injection molding process, albeit for a shorter run? I suppose it'd be something with high thermal conductivity and a high melting point?

Thank you for taking a look. Any advice would be much appreciated!