I have been lurking around here for some time now and have started to build my own CNC router.
I didnt find any plans that really fit my needs. (Mainly the amount of Cutting area I want)
So I have been messing around with my own design for a while now, and am now starting to build it.
I am planning to use Gecko G201's for all axis's, 600+ oz-in nema 34 motors, and Nook rolled ballscrews.
The X and Y axis are using 20mm supported rails with 6 bearings for the X and 4 for the Y.
The Z axis will use supported 1/2" rails and 4 bearings.
The whole moving structure will be made out of 2" x 4" 8020 and 3/4" aluminum plate.

i estimate the travel of the finished unit to be around 50-51" on the X, 32-34" on the Y, and somewhere between 13" and 16" on the Z (in the pictures it is about 16"

for some scale, the red piece is 25" x 49" x 1.5"

here are some pictures of what i have so far, everything is there except the screws/motors since i havent figured out exactly where i want them placed.

the y and z rails, and the aluminum stock. (Not Pictured, 2 more 20mm rails and 6 more bearings)

Y rail with bearing

Z rail with bearing block

The mounting blocks for the Y bearings (still need to be wire edm'd)

A piece of 3/4" plate for the x/y support blocks.

SEE POST 13 FOR MORE PICTURES OF THIS.

here are a couple pictures of how i think it will look.

my main question is on driving the X axis, I really want to avoid having to use 2 seperate motor/driver/screws to drive it, since that would add another $300 to the already expensive machine.
And there is no good way to drive it from the center.
Would it be okay to drive it from just one side if evrything is nice and solid?
that is part of the reason i went with 3 bearings per side on the x, and they are spaced out to cover 8" so that should help a bit.

I will be adding some bracing to the y axis to strengthen it some more and holefully prevent racking/binding.

And with 5/8" nook rolled ballscrews will a 64ish" span be okay?
i will be doing the largest part of my cutting towards the center of the x travel, so they will be supported by that most of the time.

any and all comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
~Magick_Man~