I read an article in machinist magazine which explains how to build a flood coolant system with a vacuume. The article isnt online and is kinda vauge.

Its basically a 2 hp shop-vac, attached to a drum - that has a basket inside to capture to swarf from milling.

With a check-valve and filter line comming out of the bottom, which is where the resivour of coolant resides, is a line to the coolant pump.

The article doesnt explain if the vacuume is supposed to run at the same time the pump is operating, which is what I want it to do. Ideally, I want the coolant fluid on the milling table and a vacuume hose sucking the swarf and fluid right up again; so that the mess doesnt fill the entire garage like it has in the past.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a low-cost pump to use. I see there are a few at harbor freight which are in my range. It must be an external pump, not a submersible one. I was wondering if at all it was possible to pump from that fluid resivour while the vacuume was running.

I dont have too much experience with pumps and dont want to buy something that has the pressure of a firehose, just simply want to pump the water-soluable oil solution up about 6 or 10 feet into my loc-line hose.