588,481 active members*
5,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Thank you all, and especially NC Cams and Richard Zastrow who made an effort to personally contact me to wish "speedy recovery".

After doing the profiles and proving accuracy ( and teaching me a lesson in saftey..IE run a simulation 1st) I installed the coolant ( I use High sulpher cutting oil, always have, its good to the machines and tooling and my wife has learned to put up with the strange smell) delivery and recovery system. Bought the ENCO 10 gallon system, installed a one inch stand pipe in the catch basin, and used double screens on the ENCO return.I was pleasently suprized at the quality of the system for just a little over $100 bucks, the tank has 3 settling areas that will catch the metal and debris( plus the screens) and what appears to be a good pump. Routed the pressure side to a return that is circulating the oil, then to a pipe system I got off an old lathe that was being parted out ...Can control the flow with the flow knob. I did clean the system and put in new "0" rings, works quite well for $10.00 plus "0"rings. I still have some work controlling the drips at the end of the lathe, but a little silicon caulk should solve.

Installed the Spindle Encoder kit purchased from IM Machine, but screwed up on the instructions and again almost had another crash..I faxed Fred Smith @ IM Machine and he called back immediatley to point out my "little mistake"..with the changes he instructed, the program written by Ron Hill and sold through IM Machine works perfect..Actually better than any thread I've done manually. The thread was a 5/8 -18, the program did 20 passes and 2 "dwell" passes,very quickley and accurate,the thread pitch, major and minor measurements exactley out of the Machinest Handbook.

The pictures are in no order..You can see the spindle encoder. Have decided if the project is over 77 inches, I will just have to use my manual LeBlond lathe..that is if I remember how to thread manually after using the CNC for awhile...remember old people have to forget some things in order to remember new things.

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_001.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_003.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_004.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_005.jpg  

jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_006.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_007.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_008.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_010.jpg  

jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_011.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_012.jpg   jse_COOLANT.THREADING.ENCODER_SPINDLE_013.jpg