587,124 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > x3 conversion w/ cncfusion's deluxe kit, Grex, G320's & keling servos

Threaded View

x3 conversion w/ cncfusion's deluxe kit, Grex, G320's & keling servos

First off thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experiences here at the forums. Without your contribution to the cnc community I would have never embarked on this journey. :cheers:
    So, let's get on with it shall we?

Here's an overview of my build:

mill: x3 from Grizzly (G0463).
    spindle motor: Kollmorgen Goldline XT (MT308TB1-E1F4) brushless servo. 1.81 HP - 3000 rpm @ 225 oz/in.
    spindle controller: ServoStar CD (CE06250) w/ motion link controller software.
    spindle encoder: Class F LPR incremental w/ 2048 ppr
    leadscrews: ABBA Precision rolled Ballscrews @ 5mm pitch (cncfusion x3 deluxe kit)
    motors (x,y,z): Keling brushed nema 23 (KL23-120-36) w/ skewed rotor design. 3300 rpm @ 230 0z/in. (36VDC - 19A peak)
    gear reduction (x,y,z): 3:1 hi-performance planetary gearhead w/ backlash = 6 arc-minutes.
    encoders (x,y,z): US Digital optical (E4P-300-250H-PK1) w/ 300 cpr (1200 ppr @ 1:1) from Kelingcnc.net.
    drives (x,y,z): Gecko 320 brushed servo drive - purchased from Kelingcnc.net.
    motion controller (x,y,z): Gecko G-Rex G100 w/ 6-axis control from Geckodrive.com.
    cam software: Mach 3 by ArtSoft w/ 6-axis control. (purchased from Keling).
    coolant system: Fogbuster 1/2 gl sprayer (#10100) & quick mount w/ mag base (#00316)

Total cost to date:

For the above mentioned items I have invested almost $3,100. However, this doesn't include the costs for all of the miscellaneous tooling and other items that would be required if someone were starting from complete scratch like me. I will try to get a total on these things and post them here at some point.

Items still needing to be purchased:

> E-stop, limit and home switches.
    > electrical power supply for x,y,z motion control and required general harware (e.g.; cables, case, fans, etc...).

Current build status:

I'm just now getting ready to begin the actual conversion process so I figured that this was a good time to start the log. The mill was stripped and cleaned in 20gl parts cleaner upon arrival and is now partly re-assembled and mounted on new table/stand (see pics).

Right now I am trying to figure out the power supply requirements so I can purchase the components for building the power supply to drive all this. I will likely follow up a post with more details on the PS in hopes of getting some feedback from other users here before I commit to buying parts.

A word on the x3 vs. the new sx3:

So, I wanted to comment on my decision to go with the standard x3 over the new sx3. After looking into it I found that I could retrofit the regular x3 with a much higher quality spindle servo system for the same difference in cost. What I ended up with is this ServoStar rig from Kollmorgen that fit perfectly within the price range (thanks to the bay) and was enough to justify my decision to pass on the sx3. Plus it didn't sound to me like the sx3 users were all that impressed with the new spindle setup from some of the comments I have read online.

At a straight 1:1 direct drive this motor has more HP and RPM's than either of the stock motors and from what I can tell it should be ideal for this application. (If someone disagrees then PLEASE post your comments). It also has some awesome software control (I plan to run this controller directly from the PC using an rs232 cable) for direct tuning and monitoring of the motor performance, etc..., and I will likely drive this w/ Mach3 via the Grex if I can get my hands on a skyko p100 board (or similar) to convert 5v digital > 10v analog signal.

I welcome any and all comments, questions, criticisms, etc...., and I would greatly appreciate any advice on this build so do me a favor and please post if you get the urge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x3_01.JPG   servostar_01.jpg   servostar_02.JPG