Hello everyone,

I need to machine this part for a school project this year, but I am a bit uncertain how to do it. The final part will be composed of three different materials: brass, delrin, and adhesive. The back brass peice will be turned on a lathe with a precise OD and ID. The ID of the cylinder has a step near the rear of the part. Then, another cylinder of delrin will be placed into the part and adhesive will hold it. I plan to keep the setup on the lathe to help guarantee the parts true. After this is machined, I wish to adhere the brass to the delrin, then machine down the brass.

I am now pretty lost on how to create the slots. These slots are about 1mm wide. I know I can get endmills that are small enough, but their flute length is pretty tiny. I need to go in about 1/2" into the part, which is far beyond their length. My plan was to use a rotary axis and tilt the mill's headstock. I wanted to dial in the right angle, then take several plunges and increment either the X or Y for depth cuts into the brass.

I heard that brass and delrin machine beautifully, so I was hoping this was possible. Can anyone give me a reality check? Do I need to increase the slot width? In my case, the slot width is better kept small for the part. This part isn't to scale and it was just a concept that I came up with and I have been using it in FEM for simulations.

For those curious, it's a capacitive sensor to measure spindle runout. It will be integrated into a radial magnetic bearing for control. It's for my degree project in the electrical engineering program.

Thanks !

Steve