I am designing a faceting machine that I would like to incorporate a digital index system for the angle and index setting. I have very limited electronic experience, (could not build my own board ) but have retrofitted two CNC mills. I am looking for advice/help on this project.
The basic design of the machine control:
Axis 1 : I will need a stepper motor to move a stop plate on a rotatory axis to a specified angle setting and hold. I would like to enter the angle in degrees from 0 (from horizontial) and the motor move the stop to that location. The head will then free pivot and touch this stop.
Axis 2: Is a motion that involves index settings (positions) based on number of gear teeth of a given diameter,ie 32,48,64,80,96,120 . Here again I would like to enter the number value and the motor index to that angle based on a home "0" setting.
I am experienced in CNC programming and 5 axis work so I know what a Gcode program would look like for the B& C axis if programmed. I don't want to have to program but it might be a possibility. I don't know if Mach 3 could be configurated so that I could use it for manual entry for each axis or if a stand alone display is what I would need.
My dream system would be a laptop or a small touch screen like an Automation Direct plc interface that would operate each axis.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated as I have just about got the mechanical part of the machine designed .

Thanks in advance

Jim Walthall