Howdy to all of those patient enough to stick with this thread through 3000 posts! I promised some data a long time ago but it took a lot of work to get there.

I have performed ASTM D790 flexural tests on 15 samples from jhudler (5 each of 3 different formulas) and the results are as follows:

Sample Type 2

Formulation: 1/6 of each of the aggregate types as discussed before.

Mean Flexural Modulus 2140ksi
Standard Deviation 169ksi

Mean Flexural Strength 6339psi
Standard Deviation 229 psi

n=4 specimens (5th was broken due to operator error with no data)

Notes: No additives. The specimens in this sample had no visible bubbles at the point of breakage.

Sample type 3

Formulation: 1/6 of the various aggregate types as discussed before with some portion replaced with barium sulphate of unknown size.

Mean Flexural Modulus 1350ksi
Standard Deviation 148ksi

Mean Flexural Strength 4947psi
Standard Deviation 281psi

n=5 specimens
Notes: Buff colored Sample, all specimens significantly less strong the the other formulas.

Sample type 6

Formulation: 1/6 of the various aggregate types as discussed before with BYK A525 deairing and BYK 969 wetting agent.

Mean Flexural Modulus 1870ksi
Standard Deviation 251 ksi

Mean Flexural Strength 5588psi
Standard Deviation 345psi

n=5 specimens

Notes: Air bubbles were present in this sample due to incomplete deairing and so this result it potentially unreliable. Whether this is due to the additives or a placing procedure problem has not been determined. Walter indicated a long time ago that wetting agents can reduce strength if overdosed.

I have also constructed a mold out of UHMW to facilitate production of sample blocks. Such blocks hopefully can be cut using a diamond saw rather than having to cast the samples exactly to size.

So, if anyone wants to join the new sport of making samples and testing them to see if you can beat me and jhudler on modulus and strength, the starting pistol has sounded.

Regards all,

Cameron