I recently purchased a Bridgeport series 1 (2H.P.) mill that is in GREAT shape, but there are a couple small problems I need to work out before I can turn the spindle on and make some metal fly. So I decided to post up here because I respect the advice I have read over the last while. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on any of these subjects as I am not familiar with these topics.

1-I am looking for a phase converter to run the machine. I have NO experience with phase converters as I have always worked in a shop that had 3-phase power readilly available. What are the pro's and con's of both, if any. I bought this machine to put in my garage and I am ready to turn the spindle on.

2-The mill has a Brigeport DRO that when I fist plugged it in would turn on and had fully displayed numbers, zero's. When I moved the table the only thing that would happen is that the tenths would go from 0 to 5 and never register in the .001 of anything higher. I took a friend home that helped me move the machine into my garage and when I got home the DRO was reading perfectly. Now everytime I turn it back on it just does the same thing with the reading never changing in any of the other numbers. Does it just need a thorough cleaning (what with), or is it loose wires? I forgot to mention it has glass scales.

ANY advice that could be sent my way would be GREATLY apprecated. I have been machining since 1989 and I am excited to turn this on and have some fun.