My Spindle has been making a scary 'squawky' sound from time to time.

A few days ago I decided to pull out the spindle and have a look. I pushed apart the bearings assembly, marking the bearing positions on the outer races as they appeared.

The bearings are Duplex Tandem style angular contact ball. (This means two bearings the same way at the bottom, taking the cutter thrust, and two bearings the same (but other) way at the top, to adjust against and take the spindle weight.)They are marked 'DT'

To my horror I found the top bearings were in upside down!

Yes I checked this very carefully.

The bottom bearings were in correct, both outer races 'open' at the bottoms - this means tandem style and able to take cutter thrust, and able to be adjusted by the top spindle adjusting nut.

But the top bearings were also 'open' at the bottoms - so the ajustment would put the spindle weight load on the tiny land of the outer race just past the centre of the radious. No wonder the bearings were skidding!

All the balls are scuffed as if they had not always been turning properly - they are probably beyond redemption.

I tried a local supplier for replacement bearings but as I am in New Zealand -they need to be imported anyway - and are hugely expensive - about $800.00 US. So I have contacted Greg at Tormach re urgent shipment of replacement bearings.

Never a dull moment.

Not so keen.........