I'm a newbie, but you all seem kind to us!! I've read articles on this site until my eyes got crossed and I wake up in my own sweat. I've then repeated the process and think I'm getting somewhere, probably means I'm really messed up and thinking wrong.

I have a Sieg X2 mini-mill from MicroMark and want to get into the CNC world. From reading many posts here and elsewhere I've gotten this far on the order list:

- CNCFusion Kit #4 for $559
-Kelinginc.netC: CNC 3 Axis Package with 425 oz-in motor and KL-4030 Bipolar
Driver with 24V Power Supply: $359
-Mach 3 milling ~$179

Still need: limit switches, wire and a PC with a parrell port. Sure I'm forgetting lots hopefully nothing too pricey.

Where my excitment and ready to drool and wait up at night for things to come in got killed was when I turnned to software for making my parts in. BobCAD-CAM looks to be ~$2200 and the option I see the most. Is this really where the cost gets so high or is this total overkill? I want to be able to design in a 3d environment and am totally lost as too what software you need to be able to do the CAM part of this hole thing. I have expeience in AutoCAD 2D from a few years back and some limited 3D CAD expireince. Not too worried as I'll learn it when I can get things set up to actually make what I draw!

Please help me get some clarity as too what design software I should be looking at and how many bolongna sandwiches I'll have to eat to save up to buy it. If I'm totally off base, please let me know. If there is an easier way or a good starter package, please let me know this as well. Willing to pay a little more to get things working and learn more on the next build...

Thanks in advance and I hope to become a part of this great site once I have a machine to run myself:-)

Mark [mkenney]