Quote Originally Posted by ticica View Post
I have been thinking about using self leveling (table top) epoxy to get a flat surface for linear rails. I would like to have the inserts sit in the E/G mix held by a fixture above the surface. However, I don't have a precision surface that would actually come in contact with the epoxy to keep it straight. It would rather be suspended above the EG and just hold the inserts in position. Now, this would allow the epoxy to climb (or drop?) as a result of capillary effect. Does anyone know whether this would be a problem? How does one model this scenario to get the curvature of the liquid against the steel to see if it leaves enough clearance for the mounting holes? I imagine this could also be a problem around edges of DIY surface plates.
Hi ticica,
I wouldn't know how to exactly determine the meniscus, however I have thought about your application before. How about first making a level surface plate using E/G, and then use that to hold the rails. This surface plate would be the start of the mold. IOW, construct the mold upside-down, cut grooves/niches in this surface plate to hold the rails, then add walls. So, put release on the mold, place rails and ensure the gap between the rails and mold are sealed, and pour epoxy in. Also, in my experience the surface touching the mold has a much better finish than the exposed surface, which is a bonus. I hope my description wasn't too confusing.

Will

Edit: I just realized I don't completely understand what you mean by inserts, so I'm unsure of their capillary effect... I don't know if I helped at all. If you're worried about alignment and flatness before/during cure, however, it might be better to just drill holes for the rails in the E/G and mount it the old-fashioned way.