TM-1P built January 2006. It's a grease machine and has been greased regularly. The Z axis makes a wine or groaning noise that can only be heard during rapid moves, like tool changes. It is much more noticeable from the back of the machine and it does it not matter where the spindle is positioned. Any move from any position in rapid generates the sound. It's not one of those terminal sounding noises but started yesterday out of the blue, no discernible build up. I let the machine cool down over night and found the noise to be exactly the same today, no difference in the sound level.

It does not sound like sheet metal, not tinny at all. To me it sounds like a hydraulic pump or actuator. The local HFO is a 5 hour round trip away so I try to fix things my self if possible. No big time pressures but can't ignore it. I know several of the fellows on this forum are machine technicians and hope this is a recognizable condition.

I did pump a couple squirts of grease into the two grease fittings on spindle cover but it made no difference. I would appreciate any pointers or similar experiences.

Vern