Hi all,

I currently building another machine,I had steppers before I use KelingINC 640ozin steppers with gecko 203v. This machine I was considering using the same if I was to use steppers. It's a column type, metal working machine, wood or other materials wont even get close to it.

Reading about Steppers vs Servos I've noticed that basically steppers are better for low speed aplications.

Disconsider the advantage that servo are closed loop system for now...

G203v has 10 microsteps so thats 2000 steps per rev, it would be same as a 500 cpr servo encoder, so resolution would be the same...

If steppers work better at low speeds, I am considering using a high lead ballscrew, like 20mm or maybe 16mm. Well lets consider the 20mm for now, at 600 rpm ( witc its low speed for stepper ) I would have plenty of torque left more then 20nm, and a speed of 12000mm/min, resolution will be 0,01mm that is ok for a home machine I don't believe home metal working machines do better then that, thats (0.0004'')

So after all what is better buyng a high lead ballscrew or a servo system? Or I'm just thinking wrong...

Also what servo is equivallent to a 640oz in stepper. Like if I was to change it from one to the other.

Thank You all