587,998 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Bolton ZX45 Conversion

After following several other threads on the forum I've decided to take the plunge!

Based on a physical inspection of the same machine locally & the fact that they're located in S.Cal. I purchased the Bolton Hardware ZX45 delivered to my driveway for $1656. The paint looks to be exactly the same as Grizzly's but I have to say the fit & finish on this machine is better than my G1007 which was purchased a few years back. I'm not bashing the Grizzly's because I've liked my G1007 from day one and will keep it for manual work.

I've measured the X&Y travel @ 22"&9.5" It came wired for 110V. After getting it out of the crate a thorough inspection revealed not a scratch and as best as I can tell w/o actually making chips, all seems to be in fine order. Firing it up I was surprised how quietly it ran being a geared head machine. My only previous experience with a geared head was an X2 that drove me crazy with the noise until I converted it to belt drive.

I plan to do the whole enchilada with: 850oz Servos /320x Geckos /Roton Ballscrews & Double nuts /One Shot Oilier system /Belt Drive conversion with the Grizzly spindle collar & 2hp-3ph Baldor Motor with Teco 7300CV Drive.

All parts but pulleys & belts are ordered so when it all shows up I've got SOME SERIOUS WORK TO DO! Finding the time to do it will be the biggest challenge.

I'll try to take plenty of pictures & keep the thread up to date as I progress. And thanks in advance to the others who have already shed so much light & produced so much excellent information on the 45 conversions.

gd.marsh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020899.JPG   P1020900.JPG