588,285 active members*
4,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Help designing PS for MK board driven machine

Threaded View

Help designing PS for MK board driven machine

Hi All,

I have been reading these forums for some time and this is really my first post abut the machine I am building, I have got 3 Nema 34 motors driven by MK boards.
    So far I have had the power supply together and tested the motors one at a time. but when I tried testing all 3 axis together I started to run into problems, blowing fuses then a couple of Mosfets etc, I think I have eventually tracked down most of the gremlins causing the trouble ( with allot of help from Kreutz and also this website ,THANKS)
    Anyway, now I have ordered a new toroidal and some extra parts etc, I also have decided to add in the emergency stop as per Mariss design and I also thought it might be a good idea to also add in a soft start as well just in case.
    I have modified Mariss original emergency diagram to include an extra pole on the start momentary switch which drives another relay switching in a load before the transformer to slow the current into the transformer and capacitors until the switch us released, my idea is that you would hold down the start button for a second or two until the current is able to slowly rise and the other relay has latched the power to the main transformer.
    An other idea I would like to add but I have not yet worked out is a way to have an indicator neon or led to show when it may be time to release the button, also I am not sure of the value for the R2 soft start load, If anyone can help with these items and also if anyone can tell me if this is a crazy and totally stupid idea I would be grateful.

thanks

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emergency-plus-soft-start.jpg