G'day all,

I'll started using a 3 axis CNC router about 8 years ago, although i've only amassed maybe a few hundred hours over that time so i'm definately no expert!
I'm 29, a qualified Shipwright/boatbuilder but have spent the last half of my working life as a Technician in a ship hydrodynamics facility within a University. My machining skills are limited, yet I have a lot of very knowlegeable people around me and some decent workshops to boot( I'm also not afraid to jump in and have a go! although this could be my down fall........we'll see.

Access to the 3 axis router was a little....lets say not like having one at home, so decided to look into buying a chinese machine for myself. Looking at all the options weather to build or buy, I figured i could build a 5 axis router for the price of a 3 axis chinese one.

The Specs of the CNC are roughly as follows:

3.5m x 1.8m x 0.8m
4.5kw HSD ER32 collet spindle
Materials to machine is Machineable wax.....some 1000kgs(nuts)
feed rates of upto 200mmm/sec.
1700 oz/in. stepper motors....maybe upgrade later
rack and pinion on X
Ballscrews on Y and Z
Harmonic drives and THK cross roller bearings on B and C
Hiwin 20mm linear rail
Sand Filled frame
Vacuum Pump for holding of materials

This will give you an idea of the Configuration, although there has been a few changes.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm doing a lot of the finer design work as i go, but the initial design idea was roughed in around the limited size of milling machine etc. that I have at my disposal, so if you see something and wonder "why on earth did he do it like that?...often it has come back to what seemed easier to build at the time or of coarse....Cost! And as you all know there is more than one way to skin a cat!

I hope you'll all enjoy this build, I myself can't wait to hit the big green button!
so here goes!

It might sound wierd but I started this build with the 5 axis head, Thinking I'd tackle the hardest first to see if I was up to the project to start with.
The head consists of two near identicle stepper driven, 50:1 Harmonic drive geared housings...I'm still yet to Machine and attach these two together at 90 degrees. The THK cross roller bearings cost me around AU$500 ea. but they are well up to the task and have some serious specs to go along with the price tag.

I'm not sure how to post pics so they show up with the black background, maybe someone could point me in the right direction
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Liam.