Hi I am new to both this forum and engraving, and hoping that someone can provide me with a few pointers.

I have a Gravograph M40G Machine, and although I can find my way around the Gravostyle software, I am struggling to find much information on how to set the actual machine up for different types of work or materials.

Apart from the half day installation / training that came with the machine, I am really learning as I go, by either personal experience or tips picked up in this and other forums.

Given that I am personalizing glassware, gifts and Zippos etc, learning by experience can be rather expensive, if things don't go to plan.

I am therfore wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any books or websites that will help, or perhaps recommend any training courses.

The kind of things I need immediate help with are:

1 - When to use or not to use a nose cone.

2 - How to avoid nose cone scratches.

3 - What are the ideal XY speeds and Auto Z or Micrometer depths for various materials.

4 - How to hold a hip flask for engraving, as it does not seem to sit comfortably in any of my jigs.

5 - I have been using diamong drag and no nose cone on plain Zippos and rotary engraving with a nose cone and a HSS cutter on powder coated Zippos, so far with reasonable results, but still not sure if this is the best way to go.

Any comments / thoughts would be most welcome.