587,613 active members*
3,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

A Different Machine - Downdraft/water table

I finally got started on my table replacement. I've been using an old rolling cabinet with a blower installed in the botton and exhausting out the side. It's been really beat up plus it's only for freehand work. However, it does run pretty clean so I thought the addition of a water tray would really clean it up.

I've been collecting parts for several months, motors, controller (g540), power supplies, switches, rails, etc. I am using V rails for the x axis, linear rails for the y and z, The drive will be 3/4" belt on the x and y and acme screw on the z. I am using 2 motors on the x.

The table is relatively small compared to most on these forums, 4 x 2 ft. This is for 2 reasons. One is I don't need a large table and second it would be extremelly difficult to do the downdraft with a large table. the exhaust can either be filtered or ducted outside.

The table will be built from 2x2 square tubing, 2x2 angle, 1x1 angle, and various strip stock. Panels will be 18ga sheet. I built the top and bottom rails and posted the pics. Getting them square and level was a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

I'll keep posting my progress. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top Frame.JPG   Bottom Frame-squared & welded.JPG