Here we go again

A month ago I posted on another cnc forum asking for some advice on buying a knee mill. A gentlemen responded and told me that he had a Bridgeport Series II NC mill for sale locally. Originally it had a tape drive, but that fried a long time ago. The ways and screws look to be in great condition because of the lack of use. It has a 4hp head, ground ballscrews, box ways, an air assisted knee, 40 taper spindle, 30x15 travel, and weighs 6000 pounds. My plan is to use the original 1400oz Stepper motors in conjunction with some really nice Slo-Syn drivers with built in power supplies. The head needs some work, but there may be a more elegant solution. Originally it was a Vari-Speed (4J) head but all of the belts and some other pieces need to be replaced. I have been wondering if it might be better to lock it into 1 or 2 ratios and do all the speed changes via the VFD. This would save time, money, and be much more convenient. Since my cnc router just sold on ebay, all I'm waiting on is the cash in hand. It should be 1-2 weeks before I can get it delivered to my house.

Let the fun begin!