:wave:

I've been lurking for a while reading build threads and tips and stuff in order to try and build my own CNC mill. I didn't see a section for DIY Milling Machines so I figured I'd post in the DIY Router section instead. I've seen that there are maybe only some minor differences in the terms since some routers cut like mills and vice-versa.

I have Solidworks and got a crash course in it from my previous school. I only have a little experience here though so to save time I'm humbly asking if you guys can share any build logs/plans for Mills that can cut less than 1/8" thick stainless steel. I want to build a working area of greater than 1' x 1' x 1' with less than a 29" square footprint so it'll fit in my apartment closet.

I think I may be able to use the school's machine shops. The drill press and band saw are what I've used already and they may also have a lathe and a CNC Mill, but I'm not sure if I'll have access to them since I went for Computer Engineering and not Mechanical, and since I graduated in May.(nuts)

Most of the builds I see are only shown cutting wood/aluminum which I also want my mill to cut. As I understand it, the only difference would be a change of RPMs on the spindle and the rigidity of the machine for metal cuts, correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen a Kress FME-1050 do the job with steel using a spindle speed controller. I'm hoping to get this all done for around $1000 but that machine cost almost double so I haven't bought their plans yet.

Any help would really be appreciated!