One of the most popular improvements to the X2 is to modify it to increase the Y axis travel. Often this involves moving the column back or extending the ways forward. In both cases, a spacer is needed to put the mill's spindle back in the center of the Y axis' range of movement. After all, it does no good to have 6" of Y travel if the spindle can only reach the first 2"

I was surprised to find that there are no good spacer designs out there. So I want to come up with a design to share with the forum.

Here are the design constraints:

1. The design must allow access to the head mounting bolts without removing the head from the column. This will allow the head to be shimmed and adjusted parallel to the Z axis.

2. Any modifications to the X2 head components must be achievable using hand tools and a power drill only.

3. Must be able to be produced on the X2 mill.

4. The design must be easily altered to different lengths. 1" to 5" is an acceptable range.

5. The design will not articulate the head. There's already a design for an articulating head spacer available.

I will be starting the design in Inventor and will post details as I develop the design. I would like to hear feedback from others on here about the design.

Cheers,
Fred