Most of my work is aluminum at depths less then the cutters DOC. I've got job to machine from 304 stainless. It's simple enough, a square pocket .1875" corner radius. It has to be machined through a 1.75" thick block of stock. I plan to rough it out with a .75" or 1" EM then go back with (a) finish pass(es) to clean it up. I'll have to use a .250" EM to get the corners clean & chatter free.

First question, what is SOP when cutting pockets, slotting etc. greater than the tools DOC?

Is it ok/normal if the shank rubs the part? Or are reduced shank EM's mandatory?

I could machine to the tools DOC then step over and continue until I reach the finished depth which will leave the pocket stair stepped. Doesn't solve the problem with the finish pass.

I could also pre-drill the corners with a little offset which would leave less material to remove with the .250" EM.

I could machine the part from one side then flip it, and machine from the other side, at least for roughing, I'd have to finish it without flipping to avoid mismatch error.

Simple everyday operation for most folks, but it's bugging me.