Hello!

Hope my fellow CNC zone members can help me out.

Me and a couple partners are working on some automotive projects. We are building custom cars, and we do quite a bit of surfacing work.

We can create the 3D CAD models in Solidworks, Alias, and even 3DS Max. However, we are looking to get a new, better machine.

We are currently using an older generation of ShopBot, 24x32" table, and the Z-axis is only roughly 5-6" tall. Unfortunately, the height is a problem, we have to slice up our models into a whole bunch of pieces just to get one surface.
*edit: i know ShopBot has that $1400 plate that can raise our Z-axis by like 8" or so, but for that additional price, I would like to compare it with another machine.

Also, the machine is quite slow, and the vertical cuts (Z-axis) are very rough (you can see the steps). Which results in quite a bit of finishing work.

We are currently looking for a 3-axis CNC that can produce better vertical cutting, and of course, quicker. The ShopBot seems to be great for engraving and flatter objects, but a bit weak when it comes to taller surfaces.

Any help would be great - we dont have a specific budget yet. But we would like to keep it in the range of the ShopBots more or less.

Thanks for all your help in advance!!!