Yeah, this question has probably been asked a 1000 times abd here it is again, 1001! Sorry..

Some background first.. I presently work as a computer geek but my degree is in Mechanical Engineering and worked as an Manufacturing Engineer in the automotive industry for 16 years.. So I am not a newb when it comes to CNC's, software (though I can't afford the software I use to use.. Catia, CADAM, SolidWorks, etc.)

I like working with wood as a hobby and about a year ago I bought a CarveWright (yeah i know, waste of money!) and after a year of its constant break downs I got rid of it on eBay.

I have been reading a lot about building your own CNC and this seems to be perfect for me.. I don't want to build one from scratch and was hopping some people here had some ideas or recommendations..

I have looked at a lot of kits, they are either too big or too small. My ideal size would be 3x6 which isn't too big or too small.. But have yet to find any kits offered in this size. I did request a quote at XYZ to see what their units cost. I don't want to spend more than $3000 if I don't have to but can go up some (wife doesn't know about my cookie jar!).. That buget it just for the machine, computer and dust collection is a different budget..

I doubt I will cut anything other than wood or plastic but would like the larger travel for bigger projects. Lead screws would be great but probably cost prohibitive? Rack & Pinion might be good as well.. Not sure what is the best spindle to use either, there is much talk about portacable routers being used but I seen over at XYZ they offer a 3Kw liquid cooled 20k RPM spindle..

Also would be nice to learn what others have done for dust collection.. That little CarveWright was a dust nightmare! It was housed in my basement, the damn thing was so loud I could hear it on the 3rd floor thru the vents like it was sitting in the room with me.. You really couldn't do lights out with that toy due to the poor flex spindle cable design.. You had to constantly monitor the heat build up and stop the machine every now and then to lube the cable.

Again, sorry of you heard these questions before but would greatly appreciate any advice you folks can give.

Dennis