588,172 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > I made the plunge and finally started!

Threaded View

I made the plunge and finally started!

First of all let me say hello to everyone. I've been doing all of the research that I could for the last two years... just enough to annoy the wife it seems, and finally started on my very first frame. I've never tried anything like this before, so be gentle with me. I've seen thousands of photos from homemade wood to profi expensive, and read hundreds of articles on building and software. In the photos, this is what I've started.

The frame is constructed from 30mm x 60mm steel with 30mm x 30mm cross members. It's 1226mm x 800mm outside and the cutting surface is 1200mm x 70mm. I'm still debating on removing the adjustable feet (input is welcome). No, the table is not the final resting place for my machine. I've decided to build a cabinet system under the machine for parts and electronics with a heavy duty table top.

The linear rails are ones that everyone knows, i think. 25mm for the x axis, 16mm for the y, and z axis. I bought a Kress router that turns 30,000 rpm at 650w (it was new and free... I won't complain). I also have the complete electronics and an old, but reliable laptop to run it. The funds got a bit short this time, so I was unable to purchase Trapez leads, and I have my own design for the anti-backlash (should be interesting at the least)

I ran into a dilema with the y axis now. I wanted to use 10mm aluminum for the side plates, but funds are too low (I'm at the €900 mark now, steam is risinig from the wife's head). Would it be just as sturdy to use 2 10mm hardwood sides bolted together, or does someone have a better idea before i cut them.

Will the 3Nm 3amp Step motors be adequate for my machine.

Here's the best part... I'm very good at mechanical drawing, but never used a CAD program. I did download a free program though, Draftsight (2D), and a free converter to g-code. A Mach 3 license came with my electronic package for the machine.

Did I miss anything? Oh yea, I design and build computer networks for small businesses, so I do have some ability.

I would greatly appreciate some help with my venture, and am very good at taking a critics point of view.

Thank you,
    RTamer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0949.jpg   100_0950.jpg   100_0951.jpg   100_0952.jpg