Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
I was expecting the 4th axis to be perpendicular to it's proposed location to allow for turning longer spindles.

Dave
Dave, yeah, what I'm really after is this.

I have a new wood lathe I haven't started seriously playing with yet. I have turned a few things but I'm the kind of guy that tends to charge into things from the deep end.

What I really want to do is to be able to turn something on the Jet lathe. I can be as organic or geometric as I want.

Then mount this on the rotary and probe an area or shape I want to CNC. Bring that point cloud into software, create a surface from it. I can then use that to add any design or feature or pattern I can come up with and port it back out the the CNC machine for cutting. At least I believe that is roughly what I need to do to have the flexiblility I want.

I have been playing with inlaying crushed stone. There is some really cool stuff on the web.

I want to be able to unscrew the chuck from my Jet, mount the piece, chuck and all to the rotary axis on the CNC.

The chuck can also sit on the bed of the machine for carving inlays for stone on the face of a plate. Or carving into ... whatever.

I can then go back to the Jet lathe for additional turning, finishing or what not.

Does any of this make sense. Could be cool if I can pull all this off.

We will see though

BobL.