588,107 active members*
5,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > 700 Density super low cost tooling foam! Need people to trial!

700 Density super low cost tooling foam! Need people to trial!

Hi All,
    I work at a composites supplier on Brisbanes Northside.
    I also operate a small in home CNC which is why I'm here...
    I've wanted an alternative to MDF and styrofoam as a cheap, easily cut prototype material for a long time, I now have it, and intend to supply it to QLD and greater AUS.

Now I have gone out of my way for a long time looking for a cheap tooling/cutting material that gives a nice surface finish and believe i have found a good and better yet - cheap - tooling material, and I need a few people willing to buy a sheet to give it a go.

I've convinced my boss to get it in, and the idea is it gives a nice enough surface to pull an epoxy or polyurethane mould from, yet I haven't tried it.
    I need some experiementers, and will do the stuff cost price (Don't worry its hell cheap!) Its worth mentioning, that if you love the foam, and want a guarenteed mouldable surface finish, I'm looking at a suitable alternative to toolingpaste, and am heckling down the price now for a paint-on alternative.

(You'd rough the foam a little smaller then the part, pain the finishing paste on, then run finishing pass if it was a large part.)

Anyway, i'm working hard to get us cheap prototyping and tooling board here so help me out!

Its 700 density blue foam, I haven't tried machining it yet myself as my computer is on frizz, but if I can get a few people to order a sheet and let me know how it goes it would be wonderful! - I HAVE SOME SMALL SAMPLES IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME LOOK -

Best thing about it is that its cheap!
    If anyone would be interested in trying some, or looking at a sample...
    sheet thickness is from 20 mm to 100mm and 600x2500 wide.
    However as yet I might need to get them cut to 1250 just to get em on the courier cheap (Just for now, later I'll sort something out.)

If anyone is interested please email me, or call me.
    James Irvine
    CG Composites Australia Pty Ltd
    Unit 11 191 Hedley Ave
    Hendra 4011
    Qld Australia
    Ph: 61 7 3868 2025
    Mob: 0488 266 700
    Fax: 61 7 3268 2244

Hi there Im based in NZ and have a large mill and interested to learn more about your product Bugger was in Brissy last week

CNCTGA could you please email me at [email protected]
    and i'll send you a sample. I'm putting in an order today but drop me a line I might be able to send you an off cut thats of machinable size to see what you think.

Hi James.
    About what sort of density are we looking at here? Harder than foam styrene, softer than tyre rubber, same density as 2 pack expanding foam.?
    Any ball park figure would be ok. My machine is currently undergoing a ball screw retrofit so it will be a week or two before I am up and running but I have been interested in the machining foams for a while and $600 a sheet was out of my league.
    Some info on the stuff would be good.
    I was thinking of using the stuff for signage and coating it with some sort of filler then painting. For external use for signs etc etc.
    Richard.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Mate there was a few problems with DOW itself and our sydney supplier, so I called in a favour at a mate of mine who imports it from china...
    We are looking at getting
    400 / 650 / 800 and 1000 density blocks. Each one obviously will be able to have a better edge, but i'd be surprised if you needed more then the 1000, but we might be able to get 1500.

It's hard to describe its density, its VERY rigid you can cut it with a razor, sand it beautifully, but you can't squish it with a finger or by squeezing it... you wont need filler, its not expanded, its extruded... theres no "Bubbles" so to speak. Its more like solid plastic.

Price wise I don't know honestly, but it wont be anywhere near 600 dollars a sheet. Thats rediculous. I'll factor in transport costs and our costs, and be sure to look after everyone. Basically I'm not in this to make coin, I'm in it to supply it cause I WANT IT and I'm sure you could all use it and want it too. Doing something for the community.
    It should give us the opportunity to make professional tooling on a decent budget.

The surface should be good enough to paint directly on with a single or two pack epoxy paint

Ok I'm ready to take some pre-orders now, I have 2 different sheet sizes of 700 Density.

I have a my friend in importation going for the harder stuff still, worth mentioning if we can work something out with him, sheet prices will drop HEAPS... I'll pretty much be getting a truckload...

So any pre-orders for trials get in now please, I need results, and if you like it, I can get more.

Anyway, if anyone is keen, first shipment will come this week hopefully. I'm trying to finalise orders by tomorrow. Gimme a yell, i can sell you a test sheet for 50 bucks.

I have been trying to find something like this for ages without any luck, I would be very interested in getting a small piece for testing, can you tell me, have you any specs on the material ? for example, does it have any high temerature capability, I was wondering if it may be possible to use it directly as a mold for aluminium for example.

rgds,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, sure can you email me and I'll organise another small sheet to come up with the order I just made.

Its polystyrene based so it wont handle that heat, but, what I would do personally is using either a male or female cnc tooled part, pouring an epoxy mold (we also sell the mold materials for this). Leaving you with a very hard rigid mold piece that you could later make your sand mold with to pour your aluminum. The foam machines with a very nice edge so either pouring or casting into a female, or pulling a mold off the male part should be fine.

Gimme a call about some of your options tomorrow... we had stocktake yesterday which was hell, a nice chat would be a welcome change!

James,

What is the sheet size? I am interested as I need some material to do some plugs. I actually need a thickness of around 50mm with length 1m & width .4m

Able to be shipped to Newcastle, NSW?

thanks

Also to those that got test samples.. how did they go machining-wise?

Can you do some explain of the details? what is the sheet size?I want to konw!

I'm interested also. Sent an email on Monday, but haven't heard back yet.

If you have a small offcut... I'd be happy to do a few different cuts/slots/pockets/contours and video it. I'm keen to know how it cuts. Particularly dimensional accuracy, whether the material flexes (elastic), chips, tears or any re-weld. Also interested in how the swarf flys. Hopefully the particles drop to the table... rather than stick statically everywhere, and/or suspended in airflow as dust.

I found a supplier for tooling board in Melbourne, Cheltenham. Axson Technologies.
    The stock 3 densities, 0.65, 1.18 and 1.3. Sheet size is 1500x500mm. The 0.65 density was $325 for 50mm thick... you can estimate the cost of thicker sheets by volume.

I just called CG Composites Australia Pty Ltd and James hasn't worked there for awhile.
    They never bought any oft this in as they had to purchase by the 40' container load and it wasn't viablor them to do so.

I post this so that the poor bugger who I talked to doesn't get too many mare phone calls.