587,675 active members*
3,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > M-Spindle Canned Cycle Help Needed

M-Spindle Canned Cycle Help Needed

I'm running a Multus B300-W and am new to the work of OSP controllers. Currently I've been relying on Mastercam for a lot of the code until I get familiar and comfortable with some of the differences between OSP and Fanuc. I'm having trouble with the M-Spindle canned cycles and what the letters do. The manual seems very Japanese, oh wait it is, and hasn't been able to help much.

Okay so here is what I'm doing. I'm putting 4 counterbored 1/4-20 holes offset of centerline .9375in. My clearance plane needs to be X1.5 when moving to the other side of the part. I'm not sure how to get the cycle to rapid down to X1.0(to cut less air), drill to X-.11, then rapid back to X1.5. Here is my drilling cycle and any help you guys can give I will transfer that knowledge to my counterbore and tapping cycle.

Thanks in advance

M147
    G0 Z-.275 X1.5 Y.9375
    M16
    G183 X-.11 Y.9375 Z-.275 C180. I.05 D.1 L.2 F.003
    Z-.838
    Y-.9375 Z-.275
    Z-.838
    G180

What does the 'I0.05' represent in your prog?
    As far as I understand, 'I' is an incremental distance from the initial X position from which to start drilling.
    So if you are at X1.5 you need to put in I0.5 to start drilling from X1.0
    Basically 'I' is your R plane in Fanuc, but in INCR not ABS

Okay and how do I get it to return to the X1.5 after it drills?

Isn't G98/G99 for Returning Level?

That's what I thought but it's not on the G code list. I'm new to this machine and controller so it might work even without being on the list.

Just post out seperate op's from mastercam, you don't care how much code there is. right? So a G183 for each hole.
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

There is no G98/G99. The return point is set by parameter.
    I've only been running our Multus for a few weeks so it's all new to me too.
    With your program (with amended 'I' value) my machine would return to X1.5 (Fanuc's 'initial height') after each hole, the same as G98. I think the screen shot shows the parameter for this setting but I'm not at work now so can't check. Then rapid to next hole and rapid down to X1.0 and drill the hole. Then rapid back to X1.5 etc

So check your parameter page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails return point.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ChattaMan View Post
    There is no G98/G99. The return point is set by parameter.
    I've only been running our Multus for a few weeks so it's all new to me too.
    With your program (with amended 'I' value) my machine would return to X1.5 (Fanuc's 'initial height') after each hole, the same as G98. I think the screen shot shows the parameter for this setting but I'm not at work now so can't check. Then rapid to next hole and rapid down to X1.0 and drill the hole. Then rapid back to X1.5 etc

So check your parameter page.

Thanks a lot!! That should save me about 1.5 minutes on my program just by cutting that out. Now if I could only cut out the stupid customer approval time and start rolling. I still haven't cut any parts since I posted this because we are waiting on the customer to verify they are correct. Some BS we aren't getting paid for. The customer had a different supplier for 10 years and even though the print is the same they keep telling me that they might have "tribal knowledge" about dimension that might need to be adjusted. So I wait.....:wee: