587,227 active members*
3,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

744 Alarm SL30

Hi, anybody out there have a problem with 744 alarms on their SL30 with 5.11 software? Machine has a 16DP-50M Gearbox, all the parameters have been verified numerous times to factory specs.

Z CH Missing

Quote Originally Posted by techsavvy View Post
    Hi, anybody out there have a problem with 744 alarms on their SL30 with 5.11 software? Machine has a 16DP-50M Gearbox, all the parameters have been verified numerous times to factory specs.

This is the alarm description:
    Alarm 744 Sp AXIS Z CH MISSING
    Z reference signal from encoder was not received as expected. Can be
    caused by loose connections, encoder contamination, or parameter error.

You should check the connections first.
    Are you sure about the software version as the highest we have in the five series is 5.07.

Have you always had this alarm since the machine was new?
    If not - If it has only started recently then the problem is unlikely to be software or parameters, and is more likely to be a faulty encoder.
    If you have always had this problem then it is possible that you have a parameter problem.
    If you have just recently started getting the alarm, then was anything done to the machine just before? for example - was the software upgraded? Was a part fitted? or was there any kind of collision?

I have had this problem since we got the machine in January on a 2005 TL-15. We have had it since January 2011 and no matter what the Haas tech does to the machine it still randomly comes up while i am milling with the live tooling. C axis motor and gear assembly(including encoder) has been replaced. C axis drive card. Cable and encoder on the spindle. Parameters have been adjusted. But now its starting to happen more frequently. Any ideas that Haas hasn't thought of yet? Software has also been updated.

two things to check - you say that the encoder and cable have been replaced - do you know if both encoders have been changed as there are two encoders for the spindle. There is one below the spindle which is used for screw cutting - and one inside the motor enclosure used for spindle speeds. Either one can give spindle alarms.
    Also - both encoders need to be the same type - you could have either magnetic or optical encoders. Both optical is ok - both magnetic is ok - but one of each is not.

Hope this helps

744 alarm

thanks. I will definitely ask the tech that next time i talk to them.