587,313 active members*
3,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > to CNC, with some regular milling experiance

Question to CNC, with some regular milling experiance

So, I re-found this link to here, from way in the past, when I first bought a TAIG CNC micro mill.

I will soon, again, have a place to work, my equipment being stored for some 5 years!

I do know, that in the Computer World, Five years is like centuries of change.

My TAIG came with a Floppy Disk!

My questions are numerous, my needs are few.

I guess the place to start would be What I want to work on!

1. woods, some rare, or exotic
    2. Wild Boar tusks
    3. Bronze, both in flat stock, and eventually, cleaning up cast objects.

those are listed in priority of working on them.

I will not be doing more than just X, Y work, or 2d cutting outlines of items.

What I know of CNC could be written long hand on those postage stamps that are Not commemorative!

When I received my TAIG, and set it up, I simply put manual handles on X, Y & Z and played with it, the steppers had external shafts to do this.

So, what would be an Easy Learning Curve, to get into cutting my woods?

concept item: just "the old rugged cross" height max of 2", thickness of material lets say 3/8th's of an inch... that is 0.375, I was born a carpenter!

I do have milling experience, but taught oh, 12 or 13 years ago, worked in a two man shop as this Third person in it!

Thanks in Advance,

philip, in Western Oregon

It sounds like you were using DOS

To run your machine. The last 5 years have seen a transition to Mach3 for Taig users; you should try it. It's a relatively inexpensive CNC control program that runs in Windows, and it has a "LazyCAM" module that's capable of turning your linear DXF outlines into toolpaths that the mill can execute. You'll need a desktop computer that runs a relatively modern version of Windows (2000 or better) with a parallel port, set to EPP mode in Bios.

You can download it from ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam. Find a Taig XML file on the web (here's one, but I haven't tried it myself: http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Mach3Mill.xml ) load it into the Mach3 folder, and navigate to that profile when you open the program. It will set up the program to (hopefully) run the mill correctly. Once you've confirmed that everything works correctly, pay the Mach folks their $160 or whatever and get a license file, which will override the 500 instructions limit of the demo program.

Good luck!

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Exclamation Thanks awerby...

No, I wasn't running DOS, i was running scared! I looked at all those connections, and freaked out!

then the "code" thing, never was good at that.

I was going to look at lazyCAM, as its name was friendly!!! so i am glad that is part of Mach3's abilities.

I look forward to my move, so I can do my new shop.

Thank you,

philip in western Oregon, part of the great Pacific North WET.

forget lazycam no support try CUT2D from Vectric very easy and cheap to use with Mach 3