587,418 active members*
3,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 8 5678
    Dave,

What I had to do was move one of the stepper motors (gear box) on (our) Y axis. I losened up the 4 screws and drove the set screw to push the gantry the direction I needed. I hope I have it corect now if not I will have to start from scratch cause I'm to the limit now as far as movement goes. I checked as close as I could and seams correct now. The things we learn the deeper we get into this. I did then adjust the one limit switch but they are a pain in the A#$ to fine tune. When you look at the picture of my new jig the right side was off by more than 1/8". Did the adjustment, made a new X and Y rail and re routed it square.......

Will

Will, I second adjusting the limits is a pain. I need to have a close look at my alignment some day. I am thinking that one thing that I can do to improve the adjustment of the limits is to drill the end plates and tap the hole and then I could slightly loosen the screw holding the button and use the screw to move the button. Then move carriage and tighten it up. of figure out how to make it more adjustable.

Looks good now.

Dave

Will,
    That had to be a bummer when you found that large of an error. Especially since you thought you were home free.
    I only flashed through the maunual a few times but I am getting the idea that there is a lot that's NOT in there.
    I find comfort in knowing that both Dave and yourself have gone on 'before'. I will probably want to lean on you two a bit if I have questions during setup.

I'm liking your table. I've got some of that T-Slot stuff. Used to buy it when it was on sale. In fact, I think it's on sale now. I will have to see how much I have and get more if needed.

Anhow, glad to hear your back on track.

BobL.

Sensor block

Thanks Bob and Dave,

It seams we all learn more each day even by not cutting but just looking at the machine. Keep asking questions Bob and if I don't know the answer i'm sure Dave will have an idea.

Dave,

After your note last night i started kicking some ideas around in my head and came up with this. I made the wooded block with a groove that slides in the 8020 and now the bolt to tighten it down is away from the support rail and sensor. For the sensor it's just a small wood screw. I still have the steel nut by the X0 Y0 and may change that later. So far it is a big improvement.
    Let me know how we can make this even better or other ideas you may have.

Will
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Will,
    Those are very nice. I like the look of them.
    With these you now have access to the clamping screw to loosen and tighten?
    My suggestion which I did not properly explain was to add a jack screw on adjuster into the end plate which is in your picture on the left so that you could use the screw as a fine adjustment to sneak up on the adjustment. This of course will only allow you to make fine adjustments in moving the block to the right in your picture. Moving to the left will just be by hand.
    Dave

Block Update

After more design and fine tuning I changed the block to better suite the new changes I made. The block now has longer ears in order to take advantage of the adjustment screws for easier placement. I cut the blocks on the CNC then used the drill press for the holes. I drilled and tapped the hard stop brackets for the adjustment screws which I will take out after fine tuning so I don't catch anything on them. Also made an adjustment block for the gantry out of wood in order to fine tune that one also. Today I'll get the X0 and Y0 blocks install. So far so good.

Will

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Will,
    Those are exactly what I envisioned.
    Very nicely done.
    Thanks for the pictures.
    I like the aluminum you use.
    What grade is it?
    ;-)
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WillsCNC View Post
    What I had to do was move one of the stepper motors (gear box) on (our) Y axis. I losened up the 4 screws and drove the set screw to push the gantry the direction I needed. IWill
    Will,
    Did you guys have trouble getting your gearboxes in place? I loosened all four screws on the horizontal blocks, but I swear, the whole thing looks like one piece. Were you actually able to 'loosen' the blocks enough to wiggle them around?

BobL.

Bob,

It took a little work but was not that hard. Did loosen up the 4 screws and backed off the driver screws.

Dave,

I wish the bracket would be alum but I can't machine or has a sort to get the thicker material. Was made from hard maple and painted.

Will

Bob,
    Mine were pre-installed.
    :-)
    Dave

Bob,
    Also check the position of the gear boxes. You can tell from how they had them installed at the factory. I know on mine they sanded one edge to get it in.

Will,
    Maple should work in your application just fine.
    Now I have the drawings so who know what might happen. Did I tell you I have installed MSM on my KX3 Mill and have been using it some. It cuts Aluminum really nicely ;-)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WillsCNC View Post
    Bob,
    Also check the position of the gear boxes. You can tell from how they had them installed at the factory. I know on mine they sanded one edge to get it in.
    Ahh. So they don't really 'loosen' up. Thanks,
    BobL.

Hello all,
    I have enjoy reading your posts. It has cause me to request a quote from XYZ for a 4x4 machine. It looks interesting to me. I am hoping that you may be able to advise me on things to look out for and things that you would have done differently when ording your kits. I did not get a parts list on the quote and am wondering if i am missing something. if you have pics of parts not posted i would be interested in seeing them if you are able.
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

Hi Tom,

What you got is all we got. XYZ is not good with details at first but if you do order ask for a drawing of the machine as that will give you a better idea of what your getting. I don't have any more pictures that show more than what was posted. Look them all over real close and you will see the smaller items. What is the lead time for a machine now? If you do order keep on top of them. Any more questions ask Bob, Dave or me and we'll try to answer.

Will

Thanks WillisCNC,
    Makes me worry a little. I don't know if i will get ball screws or rack and pinion linear motion. In gerneral what do you think of the machine and is worth the wait and hassle?
    I like the looks of the machine but if it's tolerances are sloppy and the company is hard to deal with, well you know. I have built a 4x4 machine and was looking for something that was better built and had better accuracy. Would you do it again or do something different?
    Thanks again
    Tom

Tom, I can't add much more than what Will said, but do ask for a drawing. I was able to get him to send me a drawing for a 2x2. He said that was all he had available. He might have a 4x4 now that we know they have shipped at least one (Wills).

It's not that they are hard to get ahold of, and they seem to be doing what they can. I think the way they are organized does not lend itself to dealing with a customer thoughout the process. Like they spun this division off and used the same buisniess model as the industrial side or something.

Anyhow, with a few phone calls you should get SOME information out of them. Tell them that even if you can't get a drawing of YOUR machine you would like to see a representative sample of what you can expect so you can plan your design.

I can't speak to the accuracy as my build is not comple. I am not able to spend the ammount of time in the shop right now that I would like, but some things can't be helped.

My machine came with ball screws on the Y and Z axis. Single nut, no preload. My X has R&P. (I know nothing about R&P).

I brought from them because I like the looks of the machine and I was trying to accelerate the build.

Be forwarned they are running some long lead times. What lead time did they tell you?

Good luck,
    BobL.

Thanks BobL,
    To answer your question first, the quote was for 8-12 weeks lead time.

I wish they would put more photos on the website. Some photos show lead screw on the X axis and others have R&P. I need to think if i want to go ahead with this or take the money and improve the machine i have now.
    thanks guys.

Tom

Tom

I ordered the 4X4 and it shipped 12 weeks to the day. It will be R&P on the X axis and lead screws on the Y and Z. My Z axis was already attached when it arrived. It is a well built machine, the reason I settled on XYZ was for the price you get your moneys worth, I am sure once they get it down the price will go up. I wish I had ordered it earlier when it was warmer now I have insulate the garage to play. : ) Like Bob said if you contact them they will send you drawing for the 4X4, if not I can send it to you.

Rich

Rich and Tom,
    Its good to have more users or almost users here. :-)

My vote is its worth the hassle. As long as you understand there are hassles along the way we have done our job.

I only ever had two real issues with my machine. Customer service is not a real issue just a huge frustration ;-)
    Crappy Ball Screws and flex in Z axis.

Ball screws have been fixed and as far as I know all current product is good.

The flex I am seeing in the Z has not been confirmed by any of the other users nor has XYZ replied to my inquires. It may be a issue specific to my unit.

That all being said Will is making some beautiful stuff with his.

Enjoy
    Dave

Page 7 of 8 5678