587,096 active members*
6,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    no major updates been busy with school lately, haven't uploaded the pics yet. Need to wait another month for the belt/pulleys.

Finally got the belts and pulleys , got a friend to make my z and y servo mounts, pics this weekend

How do you like your Torchmate 2x2 CNC plasma cutter? Any issues?

I've been thinking about getting one myself. I have the HyperTherm Cutmaster 55 that I would have to adapt.

I really rather build a cnc router with a 4x4 or 4x8 cutting area. Use it for routing and then be able to do remove the table and us the plasma on it as well. I'm not sure how doable that is but it seems it should be.

Any pictures of your press brake?

Richard

I have actually sold the torchmate 2x2 and press brake. I am limited by space in my parents garage and decided that a cnc mill would be most useful for my space.

The torchmate 2x2 was excellent. I got the 20th one they made and couldn't have been happier with it. My only complaint was there was no THC, that was an expensive option. The hypertherm powermax 45 inverter was outstanding.

The brake press worked great as well. I used an accurpress 4 way v die on the bottom. I cut the top die into sections and machined them flat so I could take fingers out if required or adjust the spacing.

Check out the following link to see some projects I made with the torchmate 2x2.

Sdubfid's Project Thread - Honda-Tech

y-axis servo/ballscrew installed

Nice work on that Turbo set up, beautiful welds! In fact nice craftmanship all the way around.

I agree!!! How long did it take you adjusting and practicing before your torchmate would cut a really nice exhaust flange like that. It's perfect!!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Nice work on that Turbo set up, beautiful welds! In fact nice craftmanship all the way around.

Where did you learn to weld so well? What welder did you use? Inverter style or?

I have a miller tig syncrowave 200, that i would love to learn how to weld that well with.

Fellow honda enthusiast.

I recently got a miller 211 mig, now you are making me want a tig

Hello sdubfid,
    Did you buy the newest DMM servo? They said they will upgrade with higher voltage and so that higher RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    Fellow honda enthusiast.

looks like a damn robot welded it hahah. did you teach yourself? I could only imagine the countless hours you have into it practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I agree!!! How long did it take you adjusting and practicing before your torchmate would cut a really nice exhaust flange like that. It's perfect!!

Richard
    It cut like that pretty much out of the box. The key is the hypertherm inverter plasma cutter in my opinon. I used the settings supplied by hypertherm and they worked excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Where did you learn to weld so well? What welder did you use? Inverter style or?

I have a miller tig syncrowave 200, that i would love to learn how to weld that well with.
    I had a syncrowave 200 and now a dynasty 200dx. The syncrowave is a nice machine. I just learned by welding for friends etc, making turbo setups, browsing forums. The key to any tig welding in my opinion is fitup. I did go to school for gmaw and smaw but not gtaw yet. What are you having trouble with? I can give some pointers if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello sdubfid,
    Did you buy the newest DMM servo? They said they will upgrade with higher voltage and so that higher RPM.
    I'm not sure if I have the newest model, when did they release it?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    Fellow honda enthusiast.

What honda do you drive? Now my car has a built jdm b18c with gt2860rs. I have a billet compressor wheel I will be putting on next year. I'm following hoss thread like a hawk and want to see the 5 axis results. Would be super cool to make something like this.

07 si with a comptech supercharger and all the bolt ons. Will be making me an aftercooler for the sc after I get my mill up and running and a few other custom parts now that I have the welder as well

some of my thoughts

Wish someone would just put together an entire kit for NC ....bracketing and all...with real spec's

For someone like me this iuts all new and would make life so much easier for plug and play....

anyways looking forward to seeing/reading your build ...nice job so far

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post
    Wish someone would just put together an entire kit for NC ....bracketing and all...with real spec's

For someone like me this iuts all new and would make life so much easier for plug and play....

Plug and play means $$$ haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post

pay the right price and ill make and put together a complete package for you lol

Got my friend to make me the x-axis servo mount today. I will get a chance to try it out tomorrow. I'm planning to mount the motor in front of the table to keep it more compact. Only thing left to wait for is my smoothstepper. I also need to make the z-axis ballnut mount.

Do you have some plan for zero backlash? The smooth stepper just recently introduced backlash comp, but it still has some kinks to work out. If your move is less than the amount of backlash you have, it won't work. Just food for thought.

Starleper1- I am running the same ballscrews as Hoss with oversized balls so the backlash should be acceptable. I know there are over 5200 smoothsteppers that have been sold and most people are happy with them, so I will have to see how it works for me. I do agree though there are lots of kinks to work out and they move very slow.

Got the x-axis servo mounted. Still need to make proper standoffs for the plate. I just used some hose barbs for now haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
    Starleper1- I am running the same ballscrews as Hoss with oversized balls so the backlash should be acceptable. I know there are over 5200 smoothsteppers that have been sold and most people are happy with them, so I will have to see how it works for me. I do agree though there are lots of kinks to work out and they move very slow.

Got the x-axis servo mounted. Still need to make proper standoffs for the plate. I just used some hose barbs for now haha.

I have a smooth stepper and have never had 1 issue with it. I am not using the backlash plugin either.

Page 2 of 4 1234