587,722 active members*
3,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Building a Helicopter with Tormach
Page 2 of 2 12
    Man that thing is incredible! It's freaking massive... Can't wait to see a video of it fly.

David

What is the engine you are using? It looks like a Homelite.

Nice work. I'm just a little surprised you went with such a heavy power plant. We used to convert the royobis back in the day for airplanes, but now it costs almost the same to just buy a lightweight 2 stroke made for it. I am looking forward to seeing the maiden on this!

I think it is a homelight, it is a 25cc Sears Craftsman string trimmer. I walked into Sears and bought a brand new one off the wall The purpose of this experiment is to see how well the cheapest possible gas powered helicopter will fly, or if it will fly at all? (I know it will at least fly), but this would be the worst case scenerio, if this flies, then it will fly way better on version two when stripped down way more and running electronic ignition. This is not a 3d machine, but intended for FPV, so not worried about it being too heavy for flips and stuff. But the equipment used is:

Sears weed eater $85.00
    HK600GT helo kit $148.00
    Hitec servos $100.00
    Cheap gyro $12.00

and that about it, I have a radio laying around. Normally a gasser costs about $1500.00 - $5,000.00
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

I think this experiment is awesome and cant wait to hear how it flies...

David

agreed !

I've been looking at this for sometime and you've pushed me to get one !! I'm curious if this helicopter could fly a contour or gopro camera ?

Venom Ozone 3-Channel Remote Controlled Helicopter

twocik,

Unfortunately, not a chance. That heli will be fun in the home for a very basic unit. To fly a gopro or the like, you would probably need a 450 or larger which is much much larger than that unit.

Careful, the little suckers can be addicting and multiply! I went from a little e-flite coax I got for Christmas to 6 helli's including 2x 450's in a few months

BTW, If anyone is interested in an Align V2 450 clone that is nearly complete with lots of spares, and/or a real Align 450 V2 with good servos and futaba gyro, ping me. I havent had the time to invest in learning to fly them properly. I have battery’s and a charger as well. (not something for a beginner however)

David

Sorry I confused the HF for a different heli. What I meant was a Shuang Ma 9104 + gopro. I think I saw both of the helis being sold at our local flea market a while back. I gave in a bought one and think it's great for a small fun learning heli. Best part was it only cost $55 for everything.

I noticed just a tiny bit of wind can really knock these little guys out of the sky fast or into the side your house. 8( One main gear, a few buckles and my servo is toast ( parts are pretty cheap though). I think once I learn this thing I'd really like to build an aerial heli like this ( 700E rebuild ? ) Oh and yes very addicting !!

http://www.bradmcgiveron.com/blog/wp...11/09/one1.jpg

BlueFin any updates ? lets see this bad boy fly....

Hey guys, holiday traveling getting in the way of helicopter stuff for now, but in January it's back to it and get it in the air. I am also taking my time learning engine modifications and I think I have a plan now. I already bought the wrong carburator once and don't want to do that again.

I still need to find a decent price for a simple .90 size with 800mm mains for a 4 stroke powered unit, I think that would be cool.

Also i found out that the founder and owner of AirStar Intl uses a Tormach to build his helicopters:

Airstar

Joe at his finest moment - YouTube

Which is pretty cool considering he is one of the leaders in industrial RC aviation.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Also i found out that the founder and owner of AirStar Intl uses a Tormach to build his helicopters:

Airstar

Joe at his finest moment - YouTube

Which is pretty cool considering he is one of the leaders in industrial RC aviation.
    Jeepers - sure do wish he'd wear safety glasses when working so close to the mill. His work won't be so good if he loses his vision.

Must be an interesting guy to know.

Mike

I couldn't agree more Michael.

BlueFin can't wait to see, happy holidays !

OOps; double posted.

My bad.

I watched the videos and a thought occurred to me.

I'm not one who really likes doing yard work; like trimming the hedges and such. I think it would be cool and hell to be able to sit on a reclining lawn chair with a remote controller in hand and trim the hedges with the rotor blades of one of these little helicoters.

With the on-board camera and maybe a couple of side-mounted canisters of weed killer, you could really go to town. That's hi-tech lawn care.

For those parents of parasitic teenagers who won't do yard work cause it's just not cool, I'd bet any amount of money that they'd be willing to pay you to let them trim the hedges.

Looks like a real fun hobby. Thanks for sharing.

MetalShavings

Now that's fun.

Page 2 of 2 12