587,081 active members*
2,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation 4th axis noob

We have a HAAS VF5 with our 4th axis laid on it's back, I'm trying to machine a deep V groove around the diameter of a 25" dia nylon sheave and i'm trying to use the 4th axis to overcome the lack of Y travel. We've had a special tool made that fits the profile and I plan on using a 6" dia saw to rough it out.
    We just got the HAAS in september and just upgraded to X5 from X4 and this is my first attempt at 4th axis. I want to lead in, rotate 4th axis 360 deg., and lead out.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!
    Nick

here you go
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip T.zip (10.0 KB, 21 views)
    WANNA GO FASTER

Noob

Thanks for the reply..i took a look at the file you sent..its not quite what I'm looking for. I want to go around the OD not the ID. I set it to rotate about the Z axis but when I post it I'm getting x,z,a and changing feed commands on every line..i was expecting to see an x,y,r for the lead in, then an A 360. Command and x,y,r for the lead out..am I just going to have to hand program this one?

this is just a simple contour path where i made a 3axis rotation about z. the lead in and out will be with the rotation that is the nature of this beast. that is so there is no tooling mark at the entrance of the cut, a smooth transition into the matl. it will work just like any other g41 g40 move, just trust the machine to do its thing. my post calls the rotation axis c. this should be the only edits that you need to make.
    WANNA GO FASTER

it may have something to do with the settings in my post processor..i switched to my haas machine definition and set a general feed and rpm and i am getting a crazy post..i enclosed the mcx and nc file.

Thanks for your help.

First of all. I don't understand why there is z moves in the code thruout?????
    Seconed. the other file you attached is a DWG not a MCX-5, so I can't be sure of what you are doing wrong.
    I'm at home now but in the morning I will post the code that I generated on the test piece. It has no constant z moves. Just to position then turn comp on than rotory move then comp off, all with 1 feed rate.
    WANNA GO FASTER

Thank you for your help..i actually got it figured out..i had to modify the A axis settings in the machine definition. I took a video with my phone..i will try to get it up on here if you would like to see what I was working with.