587,096 active members*
6,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    No no don't get it wrong. I have used the smooth stepper before and it works great, I'm just saying the backlash comp plugin has some kinks. The smooth stepper its self is awesome, I would recommend it to anyone. The best part is the USB interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    No no don't get it wrong. I have used the smooth stepper before and it works great, I'm just saying the backlash comp plugin has some kinks. The smooth stepper its self is awesome, I would recommend it to anyone. The best part is the USB interface.
    thats awesome they are working on backlash comp for it. that is the single thing that kept me from buying it for my lathe or mill

I know me too. It blows away the parallel port on performance, but if you didn't have a means of zero backlash i.e. double ball nut. It's wasn't a viable solution. Now that it has backlash support I think you will see it more.

Got the x and y up and running. It's only at 66% of max speed due to the parallel port, but still way faster then I need. Here is a little video. Hope to have the z up and running next weekend.

bccde710.mp4 video by sdubfid - Photobucket

One of your axis sounds pretty loud/ different from the others?

REALLY fast though!!

Quote Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
    Got the x and y up and running. It's only at 66% of max speed due to the parallel port, but still way faster then I need. Here is a little video. Hope to have the z up and running next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    One of your axis sounds pretty loud/ different from the others?

REALLY fast though!!
    Yah I noticed that too. It's my x-axis that is louder. I was just happy to have it working. But I also remember not lubing the x like the y so I'm going to try that next weekend, hopefully thats all it is.

Is it safe to use grease on the ballscrews? When I took the ballnuts apart they had grease from the factory. I was even considering greasing the ways instead of using oil. Any issues with this?

You can use grease, but keep in mind, grease is tacky and it will collect chips a lot more then using oil.

Looking great, gee, from your PM I thought maybe you were going with the front mounted Y.
    I'm real happy with the rear mounted Y but it still needs a motor cover.
    Best of luck, Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

sweet finally got to cut some aluminum with it

I cut a 2' diameter circle in a 3/8" plate.

it came out within .0015" and there were no marks or divots where the axes reverse rotation. Pretty darn good for the first part.

Won't be able to update for a month as I'm starting a new job and moving.

Hopefully Hoss will have some new plans out by then that I can buy.

Been a long time since any updates. I got the machine working and have engraved a few things and done some random stuff. Still have a bunch of work and tidying up to do.

I picked up a dmm 750w servo today to use as my spindle motor. My stock motor is an early grizzly 750w motor.

I will be doing belt drive too. Max rpm will be 6000rpm. DIYENGINEER has already upgraded my spindle bearings. Servo motor max rpm is 1000rpm with their old servo drives. With the new servo drive it will do ~3000rpm 110v and ~5000rpm 220v. I will be running 110v and 1:2 ratio probably with a gt2 belt. Should be a good combo for tapping.

Nice pics.

Believe me I understand the issues with finding time to pursue such things while working. It is not easy at all!

Did you ever get rid of the MTW mill? I see it is still have it listed.

Been a long time since any updates. I got the machine working and have engraved a few things and done some random stuff. Still have a bunch of work and tidying up to do.
    it is looking good though!
    I picked up a dmm 750w servo today to use as my spindle motor. My stock motor is an early grizzly 750w motor.
    Why stick with the same power range? This mill is really nice and should handle a larger motor well, especially if you gear it up for higher speeds.
    I will be doing belt drive too. Max rpm will be 6000rpm. DIYENGINEER has already upgraded my spindle bearings. Servo motor max rpm is 1000rpm with their old servo drives. With the new servo drive it will do ~3000rpm 110v and ~5000rpm 220v. I will be running 110v and 1:2 ratio probably with a gt2 belt. Should be a good combo for tapping.
    I'd go for 220v myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Why stick with the same power range? This mill is really nice and should handle a larger motor well, especially if you gear it up for higher speeds.
    High RPM is only useful for small cutters, which require very little power. High power is need only for large tools taking aggressive cuts, and the G0704 is really not rigid enough to handle more than about 1HP, probably less.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    High RPM is only useful for small cutters, which require very little power. High power is need only for large tools taking aggressive cuts, and the G0704 is really not rigid enough to handle more than about 1HP, probably less.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    If you watch The videos on HOSS's youtube page, he takes some insane cuts with the stock motor. 750watts is a pretty good chunk of power! Looking good keep up the great work.

sweet finally got to cut some aluminum with it

I cut a 2' diameter circle in a 3/8" plate.

it came out within .0015" and there were no marks or divots where the axes reverse rotation. Pretty darn good for the first part.

Won't be able to update for a month as I'm starting a new job and moving.

Hopefully Hoss will have some new plans out by then that I can buy.
    Dang! that is really good on search a large circle and first time operation! congrats!!!

haha should be 2" not 2'. Machine worked awesome interpolating some 3" holes in 6061. Now I will get to weld the machined parts when I'm back from europe in July.

haha should be 2" not 2'. Machine worked awesome interpolating some 3" holes in 6061. Now I will get to weld the machined parts when I'm back from europe in July.
    Well even for 2" that is great! haha I'm sure you will get it all dialed in. Have fun in Europe!

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Any updates?
    I have moved to fort mcmurray alberta. Will be parting the machine out in July when I am on vacation in BC if anyone is interested in the dmm kit or ballscrew kit or complete machine.

Sorry to hear about the move. Nobody deserves to live in the Mac.

I'm sure you got killer pay work up there though. I was this ~> <~ close to going there myself,but the position fell through.

Email me a list of what you've got,and what you want for it. I'm in North Delta (15 minutes from Vancouver).

Ahh that sucks!

Page 3 of 4 1234