587,188 active members*
4,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Problems with lens cleaning

First, I'd like to say hello to everyone here. I've been browsing this forum for months while I got the money, (and the nerve:banana to purchase my laser machine. I've seen some really knowledgable people here and believe this site will be my homepage one day soon as I step further and further into the cnc world. Thanks to all that make it nice here.

I recently got a rabbitlaser 9060 60watt machine. It was used, but at a great price, and the service and support I got from the Scott's were surprisingly excellent. Thanks to them also.

The machine is working great, I've only done a test run on the machine, with great results, and I'm nervous about what I'm forgetting to do to it. General maintenance. I don't won't to start using the beast and weeks, days later have something catastrophic happen, only to learn that it was due to my negligence.

I've read and searched all over this forum and not really sure if i have gotten the answer. When cleaning the mirrors and lenses, am I supposed to use isopropyl alcohol (70%..? clear...) or acetone. Acetone seems rather harsh, since the mirrors are coated. Does anyone have any experience with both? What does everyone else here use to clean them?

I do apologize for the newbie style questioning, but I am just getting started, and I hope to be as helpful and knowledgable as the veterans here one day soon.
    Thank you in advance for your assistance and information.
    60watt 24x36

methanol

I use methanol. Enough drops on the lens to cover the surface, lay lens paper on top, wait for paper to soak up methanol, slowly drag until end of paper or methanol is gone from lens. Do not reuse paper if more that one pass is needed or doing multiple optics. Do not press paper onto lens or drag with any pressure on the paper on the lens.
    Other chemicals tend to leave a residue on the lens that can either damage the coating when the laser is fired or attenuate the beam.
    Milltronics VM16 cent6, Clausing 1500 lathe with a Milltronics cent7, 80W Rabbit SE12090 laser

Smile clean the lens

clean lens by 75% alcohol and cotton,if you can't make the lens clean enough,maybe you have to change it,because its already used machine as you mentioned.
    by the way,i know scott,i met him in jinan before,but his working way is not good,because he went to our company for information,because he is rabbit company manager's brother friend,so he only work with rabbit,but he come to every company for information only,this is not good way,because its like liar

ULS supplies this with their machines: Lens Clens - Products

We've been using their #1 product for about three years. Seems to come off cleaner than alcohol, and also doesn't eat the glue that ULS uses to mount their optics to the housing (which I learned denatured alcohol does).

I usually clean with a new, clean microfiber towel.