588,094 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Now, what am I going to do with this?
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hope y'all are not getting tired of this fractal carve showcase.....

After looking a bit more into the features of the UltraFractal software I am really fascinated (at least for the next couple of weeks).

This piece below is a fractal composition of an image file. It was just a test but since it is related to a product of my company it will probably end up as another Christmas gift for a colleague....Carved with a 30 degree bit in 3/4" birch plywood.

In the meantime I made some baby steps learning how to structure a coloring formula and re-created the checkerboard algorithm that was part of the carving in the first post. I had to dig up some complex number math from 30 years ago but you can spend hours and hours looking at one interesting picture after another.

Here is one simulated in V-Carve Pro that I want to use for my next project, probably as an inlay (reminds me of juggling clowns for some reason):

This is another checkerboard pattern that I like but I am not sure how that would come out in V-Carve.....

Beautiful!

I love these! I have always been drawn to fractals. This is inspiring, especially since there are UPS trucks headed my way- from all over, with surplus ebay parts destined for my upcoming router build
    I set this hobby aside for a few years, but it is great to see some new things like this for inspiration. That reminds me, there are also multiple free kaleidoscope generators out there.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Expensive tools can be cheaper than professional therapy

Oh, I think the router is a good rool. maybe I will make some reserch....Do you know if the laser cutting machine can have this effect?

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    That's really cool. I'm going to have to try one of those on my router. I'd definitely hang that on my wall.

Oh, my dear. I think it is a perfect art. Can you router make some accurate photos? I means the small photos

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    Hope y'all are not getting tired of this fractal carve showcase.....

After looking a bit more into the features of the UltraFractal software I am really fascinated (at least for the next couple of weeks).

This piece below is a fractal composition of an image file. It was just a test but since it is related to a product of my company it will probably end up as another Christmas gift for a colleague....Carved with a 30 degree bit in 3/4" birch plywood.

In the meantime I made some baby steps learning how to structure a coloring formula and re-created the checkerboard algorithm that was part of the carving in the first post. I had to dig up some complex number math from 30 years ago but you can spend hours and hours looking at one interesting picture after another.

Here is one simulated in V-Carve Pro that I want to use for my next project, probably as an inlay (reminds me of juggling clowns for some reason):

This is another checkerboard pattern that I like but I am not sure how that would come out in V-Carve.....

Quote Originally Posted by JQ Laser View Post
    Oh, my dear. I think it is a perfect art. Can you router make some accurate photos? I means the small photos
    Not sure what you mean with accurate photos? For that matter I do not have Photo-Vcarve. I can only trace bitmaps in V-Carve Pro (very powerful!). I also have a halftone plugin for Photoshop but was not so succesful with that.

The size of the carving details is mainly limited by the material and the bit. The machine is far more precise than needed for this kind of work. The Birch plywood is really splintery/fuzzy and not so great. It also lets the contrast paint bleed into the fibers, in spite of shellac sealer. Solid maple hardwood would be much better, I guess.

Maybe, If it can do it, I think It is great. But I can not make sure what it the difference in accuracy, please have a look at the my sample. I engrave it by laser cutting machine.

Best Regards
    Casper Geng

Not sure what you mean with accurate photos? For that matter I do not have Photo-Vcarve. I can only trace bitmaps in V-Carve Pro (very powerful!). I also have a halftone plugin for Photoshop but was not so succesful with that.

The size of the carving details is mainly limited by the material and the bit. The machine is far more precise than needed for this kind of work. The Birch plywood is really splintery/fuzzy and not so great. It also lets the contrast paint bleed into the fibers, in spite of shellac sealer. Solid maple hardwood would be much better, I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00373.jpg   DSC00374.jpg   engraved on wood.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    One of the things that got me into computers as a child was watching a program on TV where Benoit Mandelbrot was demonstrationg fractals on computers. He used the values as height maps, and created virtual mountainsides with virtual valley, and all done with fractals. Used to spend hours tweaking the stock fractal equations in fractint... damn those were the days...
    Then you should definately download the song by Jonathan Coulton from his web page: http://www.archive.org/download/Joco...delbrotSet.mp3

Sadly the song is now wrong, Benoit Mandelbrot passed away on Oct 14, 2010.

Yes, but I engrave the wood with laser cutting machine with the roray system. and using the laser, you can engrave any photos you want, Can you make the photos by photoshop aour coredraw?
    Sorry for reply until now. For some thing there days.
    Please sent email for some discussion
    [email protected]
    tks

If you want to use an image (photo or graphic) in the Ultra-Fractal software, the process goes somewhat like that:
    -pick your preferred fractal formula from the large library (or just use a basic Mandelbrot or better Julia fractal), then zoom in to the fractal area to display.
    -Go to the "Outside" tab and pick the "Plugin-Color(direct)" coloring formula from the "Standard" folder.
    - Leave "coloring algorithm" as "orbit traps"
    - Leave "trap color merge" as "Default color merge modes"
    - Change Opacity to 1.0
    - Change "Color Trap" method to "Image Trap" formula from "Public" folder.
    - Open "Image file" dialog box and choose an image from your computer (e.g. jpg, png or bmp)
    - drop down the "trap position" section and change the scale so that the image is displayed recognizably inside the fractal.
    - Then start playing with the fractal parameters, image scale and position, zoom etc. until you are blue in the face.
    - Change the image to e.g. 1600x1200 for quality output and export as jpg or png.

Then you may import the resulting picture into the CAM software or keep tweaking with Photoshop.

I know this is hard to understand if you don't have the Ultra-fractal software but if you download the trial version you can experiment. It took me a few days to get the hang of it, even if I still don't understand how the internals all work.

Have fun....

JB

Page 2 of 2 12