587,913 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy HITACHI M12VC noise

I received a Hitachi M12VC for Christmas. it works great, but it sounds like there is a whining and grinding/scraping noise inside of it. My question is.. do these need to be run to be broken in initially and if so, what would be recommended. This was purchased online and returning it may not be an option, so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a JGRO CNC Router I built last year and am looking to get it back into operation condition in order to cut the parts for a larger machine, and my old cutting device is NOT up to the task:violin:, which is why i requested this for Christmas.. I have the mounts made and installed, but am concerned about the noise...

Eddie

I use an Hitachi M12VC and I've had to replace the speed controller on one. I have a two, I keep one as a spare.

I don't recall there being any noise such as you describe from either of my routers.

Does it make the same noise as you adjust the speed controller?

Also, head over to
    Collets, Nuts and Toolholders
    and upgrade to their precise collets. Its been a fantastic use of my money to use my Hitachi and 1/64 bits! Yes, 1/64 bits.

I do like my Hitachi router!

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    Does it make the same noise as you adjust the speed controller?

yes.. all speeds I still get it, just varies as the speed does seems almost like a vibrating, grinding, rubbing noise.. thought at first it was maybe caused by my clamp, but i removed the router and it made4 the same noise even when being held in my hand, but no noticable vibration or rattle or anything caused by whatever is making the noise..

BTW.. I was WAY unable to afford the precise collets, although i have heard all positive things about them, so i puchased an 1/8th inch collet that is made for the Bosch routers, which i have been told will fit this router perfectly and has no meaureable runout by the person who owns one.. When it arrives we will see how it does.. LOL

Not sure what else to say about your router. It could be a bearing? Is the run out effected? Does it affect the speed?

Maybe just run it for a while and it'll work its way out. Cum to think of it, I've may of had a few times where my router to make some odd noises, affected the speed, but eventually worked its way out. May have been an aluminum chip.

I guess a replacement might be out of the question for you?

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post

I guess a replacement might be out of the question for you?
    Yes.. under the circumstances i think a replacement is out of the question.. i wonder if the brushes could cause these noises.. may take them out and rotate them 180 degrees.. have HEARD people claim that they can wear unevenly or defects can cause problems with them being orientated one way vs another.. cant hurt to try it, right??

Hitachi M12VC router noise

OK.. wasn't the brushes, but i have noticed that if i turn the router upside down the noise quits.. so I am guessing the noise is not likely to work itself out ???

Quote Originally Posted by esmiller View Post
    Yes.. under the circumstances i think a replacement is out of the question.. i wonder if the brushes could cause these noises.. may take them out and rotate them 180 degrees.. have HEARD people claim that they can wear unevenly or defects can cause problems with them being orientated one way vs another.. cant hurt to try it, right??

Any ideas on what it could be or how it could be corrected? I have never taken a router apart so i am sort of at a loss here..

Quote Originally Posted by esmiller View Post
    OK.. wasn't the brushes, but i have noticed that if i turn the router upside down the noise quits.. so I am guessing the noise is not likely to work itself out ???

If you turn the router upside down and the sound goes away, could be missing a part.

Here is a Schematic of the router.

Hitachi M12VC parts breakdown on ToolPartsDirect.com

If you disassemble the router, check for the missing piece. Does the spindle move much with in the router casing? meaning is there much movement on the vertical?

And if the router isn't usable to speak and you can't return it, disassembling can lend to your learning of the makings of your router. It's a machine that was assembled by another person, so, disassembling can't be all that difficult.

Sounds like either a bad bearing, or maybe the fan is rubbing. But if it was the fan, I'd think the noise would be almost scary.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Returning Router

I spoke with my Mother-In_law today, and although she did not have the paperwork for the router, she DID have the order number, so i checked with Amazon, and found out that with the order #, I *AM* able to send it back for an exchange, which I plan on doing tomorrow.. I have until jan 30th to get it shipped back, so I want to do it as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions...

Eddie

You can return anything to Amazon, and very easily. We buy everything there.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

@ osphoto, It's been a couple months but I was wondering if you like the 1/8th collet you bought? Did you need to also get the nut and wrench or did it fit on the m12 normally ?

Thanks
    Chris.....Everyday is a Good day.....if you wake up breathing!
    Joe's 2006, Mach3, Vectric software.