588,562 active members*
5,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

FYI, no the tach brushes are not the same. I looked before installing the X motor. I don't see any need to constantly wear them out though, so out they come.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

So... did all you other retrofitters save the console and console arm? I am thinking I like it because it can be right there in front of the table while you are setting up a job. It would almost (I said almost) preclude the need for a pendant. I do need to move it to the other side somehow though, and maybe modify the swing stops.

I was wondering what controls you put in the face of the console if you did save it?

I was thinking all it really needs is a place to hang a pendant, an e-stop button, and a USB Port. My thought was to put two smallish monitors in it. A pair of 10" LCDs side by side. One with the Mach screen from the PC, and one with a video feed off the machine. I run cameras on my smaller machines already, and I can say its a great tool. I can work in the office and keep an eye on them on the network, or even on my cell phone.

My other inverter (for the cooling fan motor) is supposed to arrive today. If it does I think I'll try a manual control test on the main VFD and spindle motor in the next day or two. (I have a pot and switches I can use.)
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Hello Bob,

That is looking real good. On the arm that holds the console, I made a new one for mine.

I'll get a pic tomorrow. It mounts in the lifting eye hole on top of the ram.

I kept tripping on the factory arm. Plus the factory arm wasn't sealed up and it looked like some mice may have been in there at one time of the machines life.

For the USB connection I ordered a panel-mount-double-port-USB-extension cable < ( what a tongue twister ).

Here is a link to one:
    FRONTX - Panel Mount USB, Panel Mount RJ45 Connector - bulkhead connector cable

It is the second one down.

My plan is to get an outdoor in use electrical plug cover. It will keep chips & coolant out, but you can just raise the cover and plug in the USB drive, without having to open the cabinet.

I had also thought about using Lexan for a see through cover, but the PMDX LEDs will pretty much tell me what I need from the console.

If I need to see the LED's on the Geckos, it will be necessary to have the cabinet open anyway.

The Geckos are easy to get. I ordered the Dugongs and after 2 months canceled the order. The new Vipers I needed weren't in full production yet either.

You can get a Gecko in your hands withing 24 hours anytime.
    It is about time for me to order a spare though. It would be nice to have a spare Gecko, encoder, etc. on the shelf in case something went out in the middle of a rush job.

Dave Rothermel is a great guy with a lot of good ideas.

We went back and forth during our retrofits. Comparing everything.

It was like a team project.

Keep us posted and any help we can give you is here.

Good luck,

JAckal:wave:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

I like the stacking of the cabinets. Also like getting rid of the swing arm. that would give me a lot more room. When I had dumb questions, Jack was right there to help me. he was great help. Still working on the control conceal. Need to get back at it. Been rearranging my shop. Got to go out and turn up the heat
    and then wait for it to warm up. Be glad when summer gets here.
    Dave