587,173 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 8 5678
    I don't know if there is any room for that kind of solution. Not sure why it would be best on the motor since belt can (and will) slip?

Z belt pulley now fits.. And new lid and motor flange is taking shape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mill_with_motor.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	128716

Here's a picture of that spline bushing:

Name:	splines.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	128717

It will go inside belt pulley shaft when I figure out how it will be fixed..

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkekke View Post
    Couldn't found my head bolts, but did some measuring..

This is where I can "reach" with my spindle center with current hole in the stand. Green cap is presenting the center. (+-10mm?)
    Attachment 128452

There is still 75mm travel before saddle & table will hit Y servo mount.. After I cut the hole so I can use it all, the spindle position will be (a little more to the right, run out of support, it didn't want to float in mid air):

Attachment 128453

Am I missing something here?
    Verified this with light through the spindle.

Name:	spindlelight.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	128736

My biggest concern after cutting that hole bigger was protecting y ballscrew. I was thinking something like my friends lathe had, some kind of spiral that would protect just the screw.

Pete launched an awesome solution for it.

And it would cover the slides also. But sadly I think it won't fit my y axis because of this:

Name:	y_cover.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	128735

But he made me change my plans a second time now, and I will rotate my x servo so I can fit similar cover for y.. I hope this is the last time and I can get everything sorted out before he launches more of this stuff.

I mentioned the Motor cause of added resolution, but in hind sight when you are running 2:1 you would loose resolution but I was thinking of tapping and running 1:2. It wouldn't be a good idea to run it on the motor. It would still require you to run a sensor on the spindle for 0* positioning if that makes any sense.

Hummm. So you are going to cut out some of the base. Your spline bushing looks supurb. How did you cut the splines in it? Look really nice.
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Verified this with light through the spindle.
    Did you somehow move your spindle away from the column? Ideally, with the table fully forward, you want the spindle to be just barely behind the back edge of the table. This will give you the best combination of usable travel, and good support for the work piece. It seems many believe the center of travel should be at the center of the table, but this is generally NOT the best position. With yours positioned as you show, you will be spending a lot of time milling pieces that are hanging off the front end of the table. You don't even want to plan on milling beyond the back edge of the table, as the workpiece will then limit the rearward travel of the table, unless your table is not capable of moving all the way back to the column.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I don't know if there is any room for that kind of solution. Not sure why it would be best on the motor since belt can (and will) slip?

Z belt pulley now fits.. And new lid and motor flange is taking shape:

Name:	mill_with_motor.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	128716

Here's a picture of that spline bushing:

Name:	splines.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	128717

It will go inside belt pulley shaft when I figure out how it will be fixed..
    havent been on the boards for a long while, this looks fantastic!

Maglin, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/902676-post65.html
    I think I will add sensors for spindle AND motor so I can monitor belt slippage etc. And since my VFD have max. 32kHz freq. for encoder resolution it would limit the CPR to 200 if it were in the spindle. But it kinda needs that for positioning. So motor encoder for VFD and spindle encoder for emc2/tapping..

HimyKabibble, no, I didn't move it. When I cut that hole to the base, new spindle position will be something like this like explained in that previous post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...hmentid=128453
    "just barely behind the back edge of the table" like you said..

I think I have to modify the vice a little, it has a small lip in the back side of it that will hit the column but I think I will try it first. Maybe it's useful when mounting the vice in 90° angle.

mattbesquare, thanks a lot!

Wow, almost a week without an update. I have been waiting some parts and needed to do other things so things aren't moving so fast atm. And we can't make the pulleys with my friends lathe before he buys a new boring bar, so no progress with those either. New more realistic "deadline" for chips should be end of this month, but it might still be too optimistic with this kind of progress.

I ordered some cables for servos 8.3. and when I finally got them yesterday, obviously one of them is wrong one.

My plan was to use this tower case for PC and servos:

Name:	tower_case.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	129340

But since there are more parts than I imagined and some of the parts are bigger than expected (like those huge ass capacitors ), I can't use it. Maybe without these (maybe unnecessary) fuses and regenerative resistors, but those were too cheap not to use and it would still be too crowded:

Name:	power_supply_parts.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	129341

But I now should have all the parts for the servos, except wirings and switches for the transformers. And I think I will add one between capacitors so I can parallel them to spread the load more evenly to transformers. But well, back to the drawing board, I need to find a proper case for those..

I like the Granitte drives. They look super nice with a variety of input options.
    Jeremiah

Yeah, hopefully they will be nice.

Some lazy update:

Name:	hole_mess.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	129710

Normal mess in the table (and computer with Internet, finally), VFD has found a new home, still incomplete. X servo turned to outside. And the wall changed the color a little. :banana:

I migth take a pic from servo-controller-box tomorrow if there are any interest.. It's also in progress, waiting some parts. And I got my encoder package but didn't get what I ordered.. What a bummer. I'm getting fed up with this sh1t!

Ok, all necessary things are done and chips are flying! :banana:

Pics and video....

OR IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!! COngrats....peace

Pete

At least a lazy pic.... Congratz btw.
    Jeremiah

Sadly it's April 1st here already.. Couldn't resist.

Still waiting some parts, and pulleys are not done. My friend still haven't got a new boring bar, so I think I might have to look up a different way to make those. Hopefully some update with electronics tomorrow..

LoL. It's more an April fools joke on yourself. Hope it starts to come together here soon for you.
    Jeremiah

EK;
    Where did you source your splined bushing?? If you've addressed this prior in this thread, forgive my overlooking it.
    Nice job! Gonna be sweet.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    EK;
    Where did you source your splined bushing?? If you've addressed this prior in this thread, forgive my overlooking it.
    Nice job! Gonna be sweet.
    Bill
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/902676-post65.html

Didn't have time to get rest of the small parts for electronics today, so those should be done in monday.. Encoders should arrive in tuesday, and finally ordered Mesa cards yesterday. I'm little concerned about those encoders and if there will be space for them. Spindle motor encoder is little problematic as it have to move with motor and there isn't space in the fan end.. So I have to attach it to the pulley and make a really big hole to the lid. We will see, I think I have to do some stupid looking parts for them.

Back in business

Ok, after +9month break, I'm back at this.. Started few days ago to make some progress, but there is still plenty to do.

I had to buy new computer because there were some latency issues with my previous pc. It's mini-itx, and little big to this new case..

Name:	.new_mobo.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	150046

And yes, PSU is in the front:

Name:	.etupoweri.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	150049

Because of these Mesa daughter cards (still with old mobo in this pic):

Name:	.mesapino3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	150050

But yeah, there haven't been too much progress, soldered some wires today though

Name:	servo_cables.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	150047

I think to use these so I can solder connectors to those, and still easily get machine enclosure watertight..

Name:	cable_clands.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	150048

Hopefully there will be more progress in the future.

Glued a pulley yesterday with Loctite, we will see if it holds..

Name:	loctite_648.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	150554

Some testing today with Linuxcnc:
    ZX45 - first movement - YouTube

Power supply almost done and bolted to wall. Still need to add power switches, not sure if I put those outside in seperate box. And still some wires.. Y servo has cables too, little nicer couplings this time with shorter heatshrink tubing..

Name:	servo_power.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	151347

It seems to be ~113V, and 2x545VA with 6800uF capacitors. Might be a little lethal with open case.. :nono:

I hope you're not seriously using "vintage" electrolytic capacitors? You will surely one day have those things explode on you. Old electrolytics are a bad idea! And I don't know your exact system specs, but I can tell you 6800uF is quite a bit too small for those servos, probably by a factor of two or more. They should be sized by:

C = 80,000 * I / V

Where:

C is the required capacitance, in uF
    I is the power supply rated output current
    V is the power supply output voltage

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 7 of 8 5678