Quote Originally Posted by Building View Post
Thanks for the good ideas.

Reading and researching options seems somewhat overwhelming; so many variables and possibilities for a good or bad machine.

Since the work this machine will do will always be one-off items, 4"x4" or smaller, I didn't see a need for a larger machine, but I guess for building purposes it would be better to use more standard lead screw, etc parts.

I was thinking of a fixed gantry Solsylva. Does anyone have good experience with it? I have the plans for the JGRO movable gantry, but it seems like overkill for what this will be used for.

I have aluminum, mdf, steel on hand, and MACH3 and Rhino software.

I've seen some electronic kits with NEMA23 steppers, controllers, and powersupply, that look like they have everything I would need on the electronic side. Any ideas in their selection? Would NEMA23 be fine to use with a small 12"x12" system?

Thanks for any help you can share. I enjoy this research and new thing.
There are a few builds here of the solsylva 10 x 9 machine. You could probably build it in a weekend, and the parts are mainly cross-cut from stock. I'm sure you could make some parts metal to add ridgidity and mass. Since you're cutting small stuff, you may not neet a lot of speed, and could use single-start ACME screws.

The more popular kits are from xylotex and hobbycnc. CNC Router parts also sells a Gecko540 kit as well. xylotex is as plug and play as it comes. hobbycnc will require some soldering/assembly.