587,306 active members*
3,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My CNC Router Table Build

I have been wanting to build a CNC Table for a few years, and today is the start of my addiction

I have picked up some linear drives and servos and aluminum channels from Foxy Recycleing in Ottawa, Ontario for 200.00 and this is what I got.

Post 2 will be more of a description of possible layouts for the table

Thanks
    Doug Morency
    Kemptville, On
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00312.JPG   DSC00315.JPG   DSC00310.JPG   DSC00309.JPG  

CNC Table Part 2

I want to build a table that I can use to mill templates for RC Airplaine out of Hardboard, and also cut 6mm foam and 6mm Depron for airplanes.

here is my thoughts of the layout.

The 2 black linear Rails by Thomson are joined by a chain with the Stepper Motor is an API Controls m342-09 S-C1.

So I am planning on using those for the X Axis

The silver aluminum one with the e2440-324 Oriental Motor Company Stepper, I will use as a Y Axis.

I am not sure if I should use the second Aluminum on as the Z axis or just build one from scratch using the stepper motor. e2440-324 Oriental Motor Company.

I would like to use a laser to cut the foam, or my just use a xacto blades to do the cuts.

I want to control it all with an arduino based stepper controller, connected to a dell netbook.

What do you all think of this design.

Thanks
    Doug

Information on these Stepper Motors

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell if these stepper motors are bipolar or uni-polar?

API Controls m342-09 S-C1

E2440-324 Oriental Motor Company

Thanks
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasMorency View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell if these stepper motors are bipolar or uni-polar?

API Controls m342-09 S-C1

Thanks
    Doug
    Why don't you do a Google or Yahoo search for those numbers?
    It should take you to manufacturer's website where you can read up on the specifications. May take awhile to find the right site, but once you do you will know. Generally, bipolar motors will have 6 or 8 wires coming out of them. You can determine which wire is what, using an Ohm meter. Unipolar motors I am unfamiliar with, but Bipolar will have at least two coils in them. (Ohm meter should read zero resistance between the two wires which are going to a single coil). But this can be confusing, as you can also get a reading of zero between more than 2 wires! (Like between 3 different wires). This is when you need to pay close attention to the actual reading of the meter. One of the 3 wires may have say .005 Ohms reading on it. This indicates a "Tap" which effectively splits the coil into 2 segments. This can all get very confusing, without the info from the manufacturer. So, do the search, and find the Specifications for your particular motors. Which identifies the color coding of the wires coming out of the motors.

correct me if i'm wrong, but actually unipolar motors have 6 or 8 wires: one for each coil and a common between two coils, or two wires for each coil, two of which need to be connected together to make a common wire for a pair of coils. as the picture says, you can make unipolar into bipolar motors.

quote from wikipedia (i actually tried this, and it works):

For the experimenter, the windings can be identified by touching the terminal wires together in PM motors. If the terminals of a coil are connected, the shaft becomes harder to turn. one way to distinguish the center tap (common wire) from a coil-end wire is by measuring the resistance. Resistance between common wire and coil-end wire is always half of what it is between coil-end and coil-end wires. This is because there is twice the length of coil between the ends and only half from center (common wire) to the end.) A quick way to determine if the stepper motor is working is to short circuit every two pairs and try turning the shaft, whenever a higher than normal resistance is felt, it indicates that the circuit to the particular winding is closed and that the phase is working
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unipolar_ill_02.jpg  

That appears to be an AC stepper, which is of no use for a CNC machine. Typically, they only run at a fixed speed. This one appears to have some type of speed control, but it's really not good for anything. There's a bunch on Ebay if you want more.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The motor in the photo is rated 2.5 volts DC, and 4.6 amps, as per the label. If it has 4 or 8 wires, it is bipolar. If it has 5 or 6 wires, it is unipolar. That motor looks quite usable to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That appears to be an AC stepper, which is of no use for a CNC machine. Typically, they only run at a fixed speed. This one appears to have some type of speed control, but it's really not good for anything. There's a bunch on Ebay if you want more.
    Thank you for this, and from what I have found you are correct, the Oriental motors seem to be for some type of feed or conveyer belt setup. The other from API is a real stepper motor and I need to investigate if it can be controlled by an arduino stepper shield.

I hope to get laying out the table this week to see what I need.

Thank you all for your input.
    Doug

Have you come across a laser you plan to use?

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Have you come across a laser you plan to use?
    There have been a few I have seen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEUGbagf5-4]DIY Blu-ray Laser CNC Machine - YouTube[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4Ft8C8xq4&feature=related]CNC Laser Plotter - Diode 1W 908nm - YouTube[/ame]

crap :(

Turns out the e2440-324 from Oriental Motor Company, is some kind of OEM device, and they have no idea who's number it is.

I will be taking it apart and see if I can find more info in the inside of it to figure out how it is wired and how it works, and then I would like to see if there is a way to see if I could control it with PWM.

Time will tell, If not time to go find a couple of other stepper motors.

Doug

Let us know if you get it all running. I wouldn't mind seeing the laser working. I live about 1/2 hour drive from your place - Morrisburg area.

Let us know if you get it all running. I wouldn't mind seeing the laser working. I live about 1/2 hour drive from your place - Morrisburg area.
    Sounds Great, If you want to work on 2 of these together I am game.

The laser will be the easy part

Check out Foxy Recycle in Ottawa for parts.

Doug

I've already started a simple mdf design in my garage. But it's too cold for me to tinker there right now. Later in the Spring.

Good find about the recycler. Must check it out someday.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasMorency View Post
    Sounds Great, If you want to work on 2 of these together I am game.

The laser will be the easy part

Check out Foxy Recycle in Ottawa for parts.

Doug
    Foxy Recycle offer sales to the general public?

I doubt you will be able to tell anything by taking it apart. It may not work correctly when reassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    Foxy Recycle offer sales to the general public?
    Foxy is the Recycle side and RightElectronics is the sales side

http://stores.ebay.ca/Right-Electronics

I will be going there to buy more parts soon

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    I doubt you will be able to tell anything by taking it apart. It may not work correctly when reassembled.
    Turns out the motor has a tachogenerator on the back end, and I want to figure out if it can be controlled with an encoder disc or with PWM

anybody know how to do this on AC motors.

Thanks
    Doug

How do figure out whether it is a tachogenerator or an encoder?
    I suppose if it functions as a speed controller it could be a tachogenerator.

How many wires does the "tachogenerator" have?

How do figure out whether it is a tachogenerator or an encoder?
    I suppose if it functions as a speed controller it could be a tachogenerator.

How many wires does the "tachogenerator" have?
    there is 2 wire

Thanks
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 12