588,528 active members*
4,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MetalicaRap 3D metal powder printer Help!

Hi

If you have time to make a few hand size parts in 304 stainless, your under 10K euro metal powder 3D printer kit will be on its way to you sooner than later.
    Get in touch here or on the email forum on the site,
    google search "MetalicaRap" wiki

kind regards
    Rapatan

More information please

Hi
    I am interested, would you please send me more info about powder properties, size, shape, SSA, floe, etc. Thank you. And price.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapatan View Post
    Hi

If you have time to make a few hand size parts in 304 stainless, your under 10K euro metal powder 3D printer kit will be on its way to you sooner than later.
    Get in touch here or on the email forum on the site,
    google search "MetalicaRap" wiki

kind regards
    Rapatan

Quote Originally Posted by fshojai View Post
    Hi
    I am interested, would you please send me more info about powder properties, size, shape, SSA, floe, etc. Thank you. And price.
    Thank you
    Most details about the project is available at: ups, no links in first posts.

Google: MetalicaRap (its part of the reprap dot org wiki web site - which are all about self-replicating 3D printers)

Did you check this out first?

It is not yet a complete kit, ready to be built. But with your help, it soon will be. :-)

I think what Rapatan is referring to is: So far all projections have shown that a 3D metal printer can be made for under 10K Euro, once it becomes a self-replicating kit.

So far we are working on designs and looking into making prototype parts. Many, many intricate details are already engineered out and some parts are ready to be made into physical prototype objects.

For the first 3D metal printer it is needed to machine some stainless steel parts, and if you are interested/able to do this, please let us know.

Once the first printer is up and running, it will be able to re-produce certified parts in almost any metal, as the machine will have built-in x-ray vision (its a simple side effect of the heating method used in the machine), and thus can verify each layer/section/part as it is printed.

So far its been a massive intellectual undertaking, gathering all the needed information, documentation and test evidence from many sources. And so far several ideas/concepts have been intellectually tested and improved. Each time resulting in reduction of cost and longevity of the final machine.

As the project is entirely open source hardware, and some of the 3-party documentation and test results are not, we are however not allowed to freely internet publish such information in every detail. But check out the RepRap web site for those details that ARE open source.

Once we have made our own parts and tests, they will however be freely available on the RepRap web site.

I hope this clarifies a few things.

/MrAlvin

I work for a pretty big CNC job shop. I might be able to make those stainless parts if they aren't too complicated.

I've got a bunch of real mills and lathes, all Mazaks so I can hold tolerances and handle stainless easily. In fact most of the work I do is in 304 plate, so I'm used to dealing with the gummy crap. Plus I have bins and bins of scrap pieces of 303/304 SS, so chances are I don't need to buy any material.

Since I have to get back to real work during the week I can't handle anything crazy complicated. If the prints aren't a secret send them to me and I'll let you know if I can make the parts one weekend or something.

But! You'll have to help me build one of these things after I make these parts for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post
    I work for a pretty big CNC job shop. I might be able to make those stainless parts if they aren't too complicated.
    Sounds great

I've got a bunch of real mills and lathes, all Mazaks so I can hold tolerances and handle stainless easily. In fact most of the work I do is in 304 plate, so I'm used to dealing with the gummy crap. Plus I have bins and bins of scrap pieces of 303/304 SS, so chances are I don't need to buy any material.
    Awesome

Since I have to get back to real work during the week I can't handle anything crazy complicated.
    We will rely on you to evaluate whats doable at you shop, and at what pace you can make the parts.

If the prints aren't a secret send them to me and I'll let you know if I can make the parts one weekend or something.
    This is all open source. There are no secrets here.
    Rapatan is however the one who keeps track on the technical details. drawings and such, so he will have to get back to you.

But! You'll have to help me build one of these things after I make these parts for you!
    You bet! This project is all about sharing ideas, efforts and resources.
    And the goal is to have a metal 3D printer, that can eventually print all its own metal components.

For the first 3D metal printer we do however need to have the parts fabricated using known fabrication tools.

Talk to you later,
    MrAlvin

Have a look at the MetalicaRap web page, http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap

MetalicaRap part machining

Hi

Its great to get offers of help machining the parts for the prototype stage, we would like to organize 5 or 6 different work shops to help to make the parts, so no one person has too much to do.

So if you could ask around that would be great!

Have a look at the MetalicaRap web page, http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap

( it speeds things up if you send your phone number privately to me user name Rapatan, then I can schedule things easier. )

If you would post pictures or prints of the parts you need made I may be able to help.

If you are interested you can contact me via PM. I'm in the US so you can't call me.

Electric Powder Coat

I know I am a little late to the party but I just found this thread, read the wiki and had a great idea for the electric powder dispersal.

First this is inbetween gun shots. So you would have to shut off and ground out the gun circuits. Then you could spray a fine mist of the powder. You have a current between the spray nozzle going to the work bed. Like metalic powder coating.

Just an idea.