587,691 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting oz/in to Watts

Hey Guys,

I have tried looking everywhere to convert oz/in to watts and i can not find the multiplier for it.

Can anyone help.

I want to know what 200 watts gives me in oz/in

/Mikie

Watts = volts x amps. You can have 2 motors with the same power (watts), with a large difference in torque.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by mikie
    Hey Guys,

I have tried looking everywhere to convert oz/in to watts and i can not find the multiplier for it.

Can anyone help.

I want to know what 200 watts gives me in oz/in

/Mikie
    You're comparing apples and oranges. A watt is a power measurement and oz-in is an energy measurement in other words a watt is energy per time and oz-in is simply energy. Oz-in would convert to joules. Watts would convert to horsepower.

Watts is a measure of power (work) i.e. voltage x amperage, Torque x RPM. If a motor is generating 500 oz/inches with 0RPM then no work is being generated (500oz/in x 0RPM = 0). To convert torque to watts you will have to include the RPM in the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    Watts = volts x amps. You can have 2 motors with the same power (watts), with a large difference in torque.
    Power is also speed x torque.

To get Watts, speed must be expressed in radians/second. To get this: 1 rev/min * 2PI radians/rev * 1 min/60 seconds = 0.10472 rad/sec. So 1500 rpm = 1500 * 0.10472 = 157.1 rad/sec.

Torque must be expressed in Newton-meters. To convert, note that 1 oz-inch = 0.0070616 Newton-meter. So 300 oz-in = 2.12 N-m.

The motor will be delivering 157.1 rad/sec * 2.12 N-m or 333 Watts.

746 Watts is 1 HP, so 333 Watts is 333/746 or 0.45 hp.

The motor will have zero power output when stalled (rad/sec=0) and at max no load speed (output torque = 0). Peak output power will be at 1/2 the max no load speed for the given supply voltage. The difference between the input power (V*I) and output power (speed*torque), at a given speed is, for the most part, what is turned into heat (I squared R losses). A very little amount of the loss is due to internal friction and viscous losses. The ratio of output power to input power is the motor's efficiency.

Hope I did my math right or I'll be totally embarrased!

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Milo
    Watts is a measure of power (work) ...
    Technically power is not work. Power is work per unit of time, ie. joules/sec. Work is simply energy, ie. joules.

Thanks guys,

that is quite a bit of information, i now have to rememebr all those years of Physics.

I will look p the specs on the units i bought and try to figure out what i can build with these units.

/M

Thanks Switcher,

some great reference material there.

/M