588,033 active members*
5,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    ....just waiting for the next post updating this project....
    Nice, Kong!

Lol, I haven't abandoned it. just got busy building a koi pond. I have the miller all up and running now, so once I get the time......you know how it is!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Talking

And we want video of it operation when it is completed

Hoorah, finally I have some time to complete the turret.

I picked up a 6" x 2" disc of chrome-molly (EN24T) steel for the toolholder. The disc was bored at the rear to fit tightly over the brass face-plate, then I cut some flats on the circumference which were supposed to be for the boring bar holders. Buggered that up though, so I will have another go at that tomorrow!

Got the thing mounted though, it is bolted to a steel plate from beneath, then the plate is bolted to the rear of the cross-slide. I am just cutting the slots for the tools using an end mill in the lathe. It will have to come off again though since I don't a cutter big enough to cut all of the slots I need

Electronics and pneumatics hopefully tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0037.JPG   DSCN0034.JPG   DSCN0035.JPG   DSCN0039.JPG  

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the update Kong. WIll be interesting to hear you experiences once you havethis in service. Do you regularly have runs of parts to make? I find I use my CNC lathe for lots of one offs, so the AXA tooling changed manually is nota big deal.
    Regards,
    Mark

Yeah, I make RC car alloy wheels. Generally, I use 2 or 3 tools per program so the tool change is a PITA. This will certainly alow me to get more adventurous with my designs.

Well I managed most of the wiring over the weekend, but it turns out my step-motor driver was garbage. I have just ordered a replacement which should deliver full torque to the turret.

Cut the slots today for the tools, I roughed them out on the lathe to get the centres, then finnished on the mill. Slow going, just got the boring bar holders to make now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0046.JPG  

i look forward to seeing the final solution to this project. keep up the good work.

Well, almost there! I have the boring-bar holders made, and drilled them on the lathe. Still need to drill and tap for some securing bolts though, oh yeah, and chop off my bars so they don't hit the body of the beast

Got the pneumatics all hooked up and under Mach3 control now, but there is a very slight air leak when the turret is closed. Seems to be coming from the main spindle, so I will wip that out tomorrow and replace the o-ring.

Almost had the stepper working today.....Got the new drive from www.routoutcnc.co.uk and got it all hooked up, fired up the stepper, then proceeded to unbolt it due to a slight amount of binding. Being a clutz, I dropped the stepper and somehow managed to blow the board! Never mind, a quick phone call to Mike and a new one is on its way - not free, but since I can't wait for him to fix the broken board, I got a nice discount. Thanks man
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0049.JPG   DSCN0050.JPG  

Looking good, how are the boring bars held in the tool post?

EDIT: ok apparently i can't read, as you clearly stated you need to still drill and tap
    menomana

Kong,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching your progress, thanks for taking the time to post the results.

We are rootin for ya

Ken

Right guys, time to ask for your help!

As you can see, I am using a piece of 1/4" CRS which is tapped to receive 3x 1/4" hex bolts to hold the tools in place. The problem is that I cannot work out how to hold the parting toolholder usingthis method. Any ideas? Just not enough room to get the spanner in top tighten the bolts

Apart from that, the stepper motor was junk. I thought thee was binding within the system which was causingthe stepper to stall. It turns out the stepper was faulty and even when I disconnected it from the mechanicals, it still stalled itself. Another one is on order, but I have also gone for a slightly larger motor at 300 oz/in holding torque. Pneumatics are working great, and I will have a go at some test cuts tomorrow....providing I can get that part-off tool installed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0055.JPG   DSCN0056.JPG   DSCN0057.JPG   DSCN0058.JPG  

Just a thought, not sure if might help or not.

You could drill and tap the face of the turret inside the tool slot. Then, remove the blade from your parting tool holder. Drill and c-bore a pair of matching holes in the parting tool holder with the ones on the turret face.

Install some cap screws - re-install your blade and you may be ready to go. I don't know if this will give the tool enough support though. The clamping force would be along wrong direction, but it may be worth a "look and see".

Chris

Kong, if you ever redo the tool holder plate, make it so the screws push down on the bottom of the tool, this way you always, regaurdless of the tool size, have it right on center.

That whole setup is looking pretty decent, did you get the leak fixed?

Jon

Thanks Jon, I just made it "this way" so I could find the centres using an end mill in the chuck. I see what you mean though, I guess I was just being lazy Another pointer would be to cut the slots a fair bit off centre so the tools don't all end up touching one another in the middle. I had to chop the end off of my big grooving tool to get it to fit

Yeah, the leak was just a sheared o-ring where the fit was a bit tight. All fixed now.
    As a temporary measure, I have removed the stepper, and thrown a large piece of rubber over the hole. At least I can have a go with it tomorrow.

To lock that parting tool, how about making a pair of tapers and inserting them from the end, then expanding them against each other to lock. Like a tapered gibb for a lathe saddle.

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty...redSaddleGibs/
    Regards,
    Mark

:wee: I will get onto it!

Well I have the tapers made, and they work perfectly. Still got problems though, the new stepper was fitted today, and is still not powerful enough I am seriously considering using a worm gear now, but I will go and play a bit more first!

How is the turet working??
    Dennis

How well do the locking pins keep it ridged? How my cycles do you think you will get before any slop?
    Thanks for documenting your progress. It sure helps give one confidence on undertaking a project like this.

Donny

Page 3 of 4 1234