588,500 active members*
4,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Thanks Kelly. I do have stranded and solid wire and guess I do not have to go to Hw store. Not sure why I thought we will need shielded wire for signals.

I will work slow and hope to complete this task by weekend. Hope you will not mind if I come back with more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    I used both at different times... I just rewired everything to clean it up and just grabbed some wire from my wire bin. Solid or stranded will work, 18 to 22 gauge. Your only passing signals and 10 volts at a 50 ma or so.

Look for thermostat wire, that should work fine. I think even cat5 will work.

few dumb questions

Kelly,

I am reading the user manual and first step I guess is to power test the vfd before hooking up with BOB.

1) During the test we will select digital operator for speed(A001) and run(A002) command. What value will be needed when BOB is controlling the vfd?

2)Motor base frequency (A03) for US, I thought it should be 50? I am little confuse as to why you set it to 40.

I guess you left poles and current parameter to default, I will also not touch them.

I guess A004 is motor frequency, in my case it is 300.

I do not understand your comment about rpm and mach3. My motor RPM is 1800 and I am hoping to set it up somewhere in the vfd. Guess I have to read some more.

Thanks

Here are the pictures of the wiring.

B031 - 03 or 10
    A001 - 01 Freq source = My manual has a misprint. Think it is 01
    A002 - 02 Run source
    A076 - 01 PV source

Other settings to look at

A003 - 40 hz
    A004 - 140 hz
    A061 - 140 hz
    A062 - 40 hz
    F002 - 3 sec.

In mach3 to calibrate the spindle speed I ended up just playing with the min and max rpm numbers until
    things are close. I ended up with a MIN RPM at 300 and MAX RPM at 11,000.

This made the VFD run at 60hz with a s3000 command in Mach. My pulley ratio is
    1:2 so motor is at 1500 RPM (rated speed at 60hz) and spindle at 3000 RPM at 60hz.

If I tell Mach3 to go to to 6000 RPM with a s6000 command the VFD goes to 120 hz.

I hope that helps.

Normally the base freq is the frequency stated on the motor plate, for US it would be 60hz.
    Also the number of poles, H004, if you have a 17xx rpm motor then it is 4 pole (default) if 3480 then 2 pole.
    It also pays to run through the auto tune process after you have set the parameters above, this give an idea as to whether the auto tune is better.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    Thanks for pole info. Default is 4 and I will use the default. Still going through the doc and did not realize there is some SW to make my life easy with auto tune. Hope auto tune does not just take the default value but talk to motor and set the right values. I don't think this sw is on the cd but I will check cd and vendor web site.

I can use some help with frequency. I do understand the standard frequency coming out of the outlet. Motor plate has 300 as base and max frequency, where this value is used?

Motor plate also has max rpm as 1800. Where this value is used?

Regards,

PS: Doc says default in US is 50 and not 60 but I do trust you more then doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Normally the base freq is the frequency stated on the motor plate, for US it would be 60hz.
    Also the number of poles, H004, if you have a 17xx rpm motor then it is 4 pole (default) if 3480 then 2 pole.
    It also pays to run through the auto tune process after you have set the parameters above, this give an idea as to whether the auto tune is better.
    Al.

Ignore my question about base and max frequency. I see that it is used by the vfd to control the speed. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    Al,
    Thanks for pole info. Default is 4 and I will use the default. Still going through the doc and did not realize there is some SW to make my life easy with auto tune. Hope auto tune does not just take the default value but talk to motor and set the right values. I don't think this sw is on the cd but I will check cd and vendor web site.

I can use some help with frequency. I do understand the standard frequency coming out of the outlet. Motor plate has 300 as base and max frequency, where this value is used?

Motor plate also has max rpm as 1800. Where this value is used?

Regards,

PS: Doc says default in US is 50 and not 60 but I do trust you more then doc.

Normally everything is in the VFD to autotune, a parameter is set and the VFD 'exercises' the motor and takes an electronic picture, and calculates the optimum parameters and plugs them in automatically.
    Whenever I have done this, I have have tweeked the result and I now have very fast accel and decel rates without tripping.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al. I have option of running the tune up or use the default for 95% of the parameter and I will go for tune up. With time, if I do not find anything more interesting I will come back and revisit. I am continuing with the doc I hope I will find the parameter soon.

It is good that SW is already in the VFD. I was woundering about wiring the vfd with PC/laptop.

Appreciate the help.

Normally everything is in the VFD to autotune, a parameter is set and the VFD 'exercises' the motor and takes an electronic picture, and calculates the optimum parameters and plugs them in automatically.
    Whenever I have done this, I have have tweeked the result and I now have very fast accel and decel rates without tripping.
    Al.

Kelly,
    I do not understand your comment about rpm and mach3. My motor RPM is 1800 and I am hoping to set it up somewhere in the vfd. Guess I have to read some more.
    Thanks
    Once you are set up and running in Mach3 you will issue a S command. S being the speed you want the spindle to turn, like S1000 for 1000 RPM.

In the Mach setup screen it will have a section for a pulley ratio and MAX rpm and MIN rpm. I assumed that setting would be my actual max and min rpm setting I was going to run so I plugged in 6000 max 500 min with a pulley of .5.

With those settings I was getting about 3500 RPM with a S6000 command in Mach. The only way I could figure out to tweak Mach and the BOB was to put in false min and max RPM numbers.

So even though I will only run a max of 6000 rpm on the machine I had to tell mach3 that 11000 was my max rpm. So now when I issue an S6000 in Mach3 the spindle spins at 6000 rpm, motor at 3000, VFD at 120hz. My gear ratio is 1:2 overdrive.

I hope that helps.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Thanks Kelly.

Once you are set up and running in Mach3 you will issue a S command. S being the speed you want the spindle to turn, like S1000 for 1000 RPM.

In the Mach setup screen it will have a section for a pulley ratio and MAX rpm and MIN rpm. I assumed that setting would be my actual max and min rpm setting I was going to run so I plugged in 6000 max 500 min with a pulley of .5.

With those settings I was getting about 3500 RPM with a S6000 command in Mach. The only way I could figure out to tweak Mach and the BOB was to put in false min and max RPM numbers.

So even though I will only run a max of 6000 rpm on the machine I had to tell mach3 that 11000 was my max rpm. So now when I issue an S6000 in Mach3 the spindle spins at 6000 rpm, motor at 3000, VFD at 120hz. My gear ratio is 1:2 overdrive.

I hope that helps.

I need help with VFD

Team,

Even with so much help on this thread, I am stuck.

I was able to connect the VFD and spindle and run the spindle from vfd commands. Two observations here

1) On lower speed (lower frequency), I was able to stop the spindle easily. Normally, we will have high torque on lower speed but in this case I guess vfd is sending less current to spindle, right? I will worry about this for now. Other thing I notice that spindle is considerably quite compared to router but it was still making enough noice. Any thing to worry here?

2) vfd is not allowing me to change all the parameters. It does skip lot of parameters. For example Kelly mentioned A076 parameter, I am not able to set it up. vfd goes from a001 ... around a002 and them may be 7-8 more, thats it. Same is true for B, C,..F commands.

3) Make sure that Mech3 setting is same as Mectec mentioned in this thread, with one exception. I used PWMBase Feq as 300 (instead of 200).

4) Check that I am getting 10.x V from BOB.

5) Double checked the wiring diagram Kelly provided (very helpful, saved me lot of reading and trial and error). I think tomorrow I will start with tipple checking the wiring diagram.

6) Issued S command in Mac3 without much success. I also tried using the arrow in Mac3 to start the spindle, no success. Was expected, things never work for me on first trial.

7) First thing I want to check is A001 and A002, Freq and Run source. When I was doing the step 1, I set them to 2, which tell vfd that all the control will come from vfd. I think I need to set them to some other value where vfd should take the analog value from BOB. I tried setting few values for A001/002 but it is kind of shooting in dark.

Current values on vfd are

A001 = 2
    A002 = 2
    A003 = 60
    A004 = 300
    F002 = 3

During this process, I also go soldering station and first time solder the wire ends. This made life little easy.

I will just sleep on this one and come back to debugging tomorrow. If you any input, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Ignore my comment about parameters been not visible. This thread have info on how to make them visible http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...ml#post1070493

Team,

Even with so much help on this thread, I am stuck.

I was able to connect the VFD and spindle and run the spindle from vfd commands. Two observations here

1) On lower speed (lower frequency), I was able to stop the spindle easily. Normally, we will have high torque on lower speed but in this case I guess vfd is sending less current to spindle, right? I will worry about this for now. Other thing I notice that spindle is considerably quite compared to router but it was still making enough noice. Any thing to worry here?

2) vfd is not allowing me to change all the parameters. It does skip lot of parameters. For example Kelly mentioned A076 parameter, I am not able to set it up. vfd goes from a001 ... around a002 and them may be 7-8 more, thats it. Same is true for B, C,..F commands.

3) Make sure that Mech3 setting is same as Mectec mentioned in this thread, with one exception. I used PWMBase Feq as 300 (instead of 200).

4) Check that I am getting 10.x V from BOB.

5) Double checked the wiring diagram Kelly provided (very helpful, saved me lot of reading and trial and error). I think tomorrow I will start with tipple checking the wiring diagram.

6) Issued S command in Mac3 without much success. I also tried using the arrow in Mac3 to start the spindle, no success. Was expected, things never work for me on first trial.

7) First thing I want to check is A001 and A002, Freq and Run source. When I was doing the step 1, I set them to 2, which tell vfd that all the control will come from vfd. I think I need to set them to some other value where vfd should take the analog value from BOB. I tried setting few values for A001/002 but it is kind of shooting in dark.

Current values on vfd are

A001 = 2
    A002 = 2
    A003 = 60
    A004 = 300
    F002 = 3

During this process, I also go soldering station and first time solder the wire ends. This made life little easy.

I will just sleep on this one and come back to debugging tomorrow. If you any input, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Want to close the loop here. I got lot of help from folks here and now spindle is running very smoothly and I am able to control it from mach3. Ony surprise is that I am not able to control the direction of spindle with M3/M4 and Andy told me that I need more wiring ... oh well.

Just to make sure that folks who are reading this in the future do not make the same mistake as I did ... manual is little vague about A003 ... I thought this was either 60 for US or 50 for non US but after talking to tech support at Hitachi I found that A003 is Spindle base frequency (300) in my case. Oh well no complains, I did actually end up opening the manual and know much more about vfd then I did last week.

Thanks again team.

Ignore my comment about parameters been not visible. This thread have info on how to make them visible http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...ml#post1070493

You need two inputs for M3 & M4, input 1 and 2 is the defaults for FWD & REV.
    Also if you are not using the auto tune, for now you should set it back to 0.
    The details are in section 3-108 to 3-110.
    Al.

Albert E.

Just to make sure that folks who are reading this in the future do not make the same mistake as I did ... manual is little vague about A003 ... I thought this was either 60 for US or 50 for non US but after talking to tech support at Hitachi I found that A003 is Spindle base frequency (300) in my case.
    That's weird, the recognized definition of base speed is the rpm when the motor is at the nameplate voltage, frequency & current?
    What is your motor, I seem to recall it is a standard 4 pole 60hz motor?
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,
    I thought one wire will do the job. Direction control is binary operation and one wire should be fine .. oh well. I am not sure if I need both directions on the router table, will worry about implementation details of two wires when I need counter clockwise rotation.

I actually spent some time on the auto tune. There is a section on auto tune in the manual. VFD has limited information about spindle based on few parameter I supplied to vfd. I thought vfd will be talking to spindle to get information itself and auto tune will be more smart. I don't think auto tune will do any good at this time and I already changed the variable back to 00.

If you think auto tune is more intelligent, please correct me. In that case, I do have few days before I get the router table ...

Thanks Al.

You need two inputs for M3 & M4, input 1 and 2 is the defaults for FWD & REV.
    Also if you are not using the auto tune, for now you should set it back to 0.
    The details are in section 3-108 to 3-110.
    Al.

I have always found auto-tune a good jumping off point, if you set it to 02, it should exercise (rotate) the motor and find optimum parameters, after that you can fine tune it a bit.
    You need to input the correct motor parameters, however.
    Al.

Albert E.

may be I confused you ... plate on my spindle says 300 for both base and max frequency. It can work at both 220 and 420V and I configured it for 220. At 220, current is 8.5amp.

as for pole, there is no info on the plate but I do remember you mentioning that basic spindle like mine with 18K rpm will have 4 poles.

That's weird, the recognized definition of base speed is the rpm when the motor is at the nameplate voltage, frequency & current?
    What is your motor, I seem to recall it is a standard 4 pole 60hz motor?
    Al.

Its OK, I forgot for the moment they use base frequency and not base rpm!
    Also if you are running at 18k on 300hz it would be a 2 pole motor.
    It's been a long day :tired:
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al. I will change the parameter next time I go to basement.
    Appreciate your help.

Its OK, I forgot for the moment they use base frequency and not base rpm!
    Also if you are running at 18k on 300hz it would be a 2 pole motor.
    It's been a long day :tired:
    Al.

sorry for not replying i have a nasty stomach virus and all the nasty stuff that comes with it.

My settings were for a 2 HP, 240 volt, 1500 rpm motor @ 60 hz.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Page 2 of 3 123